1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

motherboard replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BobVik, Apr 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BobVik

BobVik Thread Starter

I have an HP model 110-017c. The issue I have is the motherboard has an integrated graphics card which cannot be updated according to a couple of computer people I have spoken to. It also has an external power source as well. I would like to replace it with a motherboard which can allow you to upgrade the graphics card for gaming. Can someone recommend a moderately priced motherboard, around 100 dollars or so which I could purchase and replace the one I currently have. The processor I currently have is an intel pentium (R) cpu G2020T @2.50 Ghz, 2500 Mhz, 2 cores,2 logical processors. I have 4MB of ram as well with 1 TB of hard drive. The game I am wanting to run is Train Simulator 2015 and these are the minimum requirements:
    • Processor: Processor: 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo (3.2 GHz Core 2 Duo recommended), AMD Athlon MP (multiprocessor variant or comparable processors)
    • Memory: 2 GB RAM
    • Graphics: 512 MB with Pixel Shader 3.0 (AGP PCIe only)
    • DirectX®: 9.0c
    • Hard Drive: 6 GB HD space
    • Sound: Direct X 9.0c compatible
    • Internet connection
    I am currently running Windows 8.1 so I am good there. Please excuse my ignorance on any thing I posted. I am rather new to working on computers and really need some assistance.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    The problem with installing a third party motherboard in an HP computer is the HP Case is proprietary to The HP Series motherboards they install. While a third party motherboard may fit the Rear IO ports won't be the same. While you could check the HP Support site to see if there are possible processor upgrades you could make, reading the specs it doesn't appear you can install a PCI-e Graphics card.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You'd be miles ahead selling this computer as is and buying a new computer suited to your needs. To upgrade the graphics not only do you need a graphics card but a new motherboard, power supply, and a new retail copy of the Windows operating system. A CPU upgrade would also be recommended for optimal game play.

4. BobVik

BobVik Thread Starter

If the mother board cannot be replaced in a HP computer would it be possible to transfer the remaining hard drive, ram, to another computer which is used. And if so where would one look to purchase such a thing and secondly what brand would you recommend to look for.

5. BobVik

BobVik Thread Starter

Where would you recommend looking to sell this one. And secondly where would you recommend to look to purchase another computer which would fit what I am looking for. Any idea on how much you think I should ask for the one I have?
    Thanks for the reply.

6. jamesx121

jamesx121

your best bet is to look in your local yellow pages for computer repair shops. they proably have a selection
    of Refurbished computers.

But first look on Craigslist & E-Bay for used computers.
    will give a idea of what other people are getting for their
    used computer.
    as far as trying to sell your present computer

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Here is the support page for you computer http://support.hp.com/us-en/product...ies/5359000/model/5365289/document/c03794216/ It will support up to a Core i3 Ivy Bridge Processor. It only has a 90 watt power supply so you would need a new power supply to make any appreciable upgrades. I agree that even the minor upgrades you would need would not be worth it on this system. Depending where you are you could pick up an HP or Dell desktop without monitor at Walmart for right around $300 US that would support the requirements of your game.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I doubt a $300 Walmart PC would be any better, he needs a decent graphics card and a decent processor.

Craigs List, eBay, Kijiji, Local Classified ads, Facebook Auction pages are all places you could sell the PC. If you remove the RAM and hard drive you;ll make the PC almost worthless. You can at least sell the unit as a complete one and use that money for a new hard drive and RAM.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146873

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice