1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Boukou, Mar 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Boukou

Boukou Thread Starter

Hello friends, love your very informative forum. I have an issue i believe you can help me with, i am setting up my old desktop computer for a family member, but its motherboard is not working. The motherboard was Gigabyte Ga-m68m-S2P and they are long out of the market. Since a DDR2 motherboard is very expensive in my country (about 110 euros) could i just buy a new motherboard and new rams and swap them? It would save me half the money but i am not sure what happens about compatibility. The cpu is an old athlon II and the gpu was an old geforce i dont remember the right model. Can you inform me about the subject and answer me if this is doable?

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Any new motherboard will use a different cpu socket and likely different RAM as well. So you will need the motherboard, cpu, and likely the RAM.

The video card, assuming it's a PCI-E type card, will work on the new board. You will also need to reinstall the OS, so ensure you have the OS disc.

3. Fanyit

Fanyit

First Name:
    Ivan
    Or you need to buy another AM2 socket motherboard and use all components from your PC like a CPU and ram...And must important you must know your harddrive connector what is it sata or ide? Asrock N68C-GS UCC is similar motherboard like your to use your CPU and ram but this model may not be sold worldwide. You need to contact your local dealer for the availability of this model in your region. This is if you like to use your old CPU or if you like to change your mb and cpu ram.... you need to say how money your already to spent for new to find the best mb and cpu for your money...

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Or you could look for the same Gigabyte Ga-m68m-S2P board on Ebay.

5. Boukou

Boukou Thread Starter

Alright, the closest thing i could find was ASROCK N68C-GS4 FX. Will this be compatible with my equipment? Also i dont think i will buy a used similar one from ebay because it costs too much for a used card and also i dont know if we can buy from ebay yet in greece, because of capital controls they banned imports. Maybe the ban has been lifted by now but i am not willing to take that risk for that price.

6. Fanyit

Fanyit

First Name:
    Ivan
    Yes ASROCK N68C-GS4 FX is compatible with your equipment..This motherboard support:
    Support up to 95W Socket AM3+ processors
    Support up to 95W Socket AM2+ / AM2 processors:
    Also support and your ram ddr2 this is good replacement motherboard for you if you don't like to change everything cpu/ram etc etc

7. Boukou

Boukou Thread Starter

Excelent! I will order it first thing tomorrow. Thanks a million for all your help and time

8. Fanyit

Fanyit

First Name:
    Ivan
    you're welcome

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1168424

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice