1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

motherboard replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by enigma., Jan 13, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. enigma.

enigma. Thread Starter

Hi, hope this is the right forum for my query.
    In my spare computer the motherboard has apperantly failed ? thought it was the power supply, replaced it but still don't work, had this once before.
    Would like to replace motherboard and cpu but not quite sure what to get.
    Computer would be used for general browsing, playing card games and downloading video from youtube.
    So don't need top of shelf stuff.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thank you.
    enigma.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

The one thing to examine is what kinds of game do you play ? Do they benefit from having a high frames per second (fps) rating? If so, then you also would need a higher end graphics card, beside having a beefy CPU. After you know these 2 things, then you can go online shopping for a motherboard, because you would then know what CPU socket you need, and what what graphics card slot you need on the motherboard.

ASUS makes good motherboards. They also have a less expensive brand called ASROCK.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you are just playing card games, you can get by with the onchip video that is part of both intel and amd bristle ridge cpus.
    I use and recommend asus, gigabyte, and asrock motherboards.
    If you just want something that you can assemble and have it work without a lot of tuning, go intel. The new amd systems are incredible however they are NOT for the inexperienced builder. Just as an example, I have two personal systems; one intel i5 7600k overclocked to 4.5gig and one ryzen 1700x overclocked to 3.9gig. On multicore benchmarks, the ryzen system just blows the intel out of the water; literally doubling the score on cinebench cpu benchmark. This performance comes at a price of bios updates, manually setting ram speed/timings, manually setting vcore and cpu speeds, etc, etc. The intel system just works.

So if you want something where you can just put parts together and have it run, go intel. If you like making numerous bios updates, setting speeds and timings manually, etc, etc, then go amd.

4. enigma.

enigma. Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies.
    enigma.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1202889