1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

motherboard replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brbluetele, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brbluetele

brbluetele Thread Starter

I have a Dell XPS/Dimension XPS Gen 2 computer that needs a motherboard. I have contacted Dell support and they will sell me a new one for $170 that is an exact replacement. Is there a way to upgrade the motherboard or am I stuck with having to replace it with the original? I am running Windows XP. The processor is 3.0G, 512, 800FSB.

2. Blazintails

Blazintails

You will have to do a lot of research on that current motherboard in order to make sure you get one that is compatible.

I would call back DELL and ask them if the one they are offerening you is a refurb or is it brand new? Dell has a habit of selling refurb parts.

Also ask them for the make/model number of the motherboard and I can help you do some research if you like?

3. brbluetele

brbluetele Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response. The issue I'm having concerns the network part of the motherboard and the USB part of the motherboard which I think are bundled in the same location on the board. Could I just buy a USB card and a network card since I have open slots to install them?

4. replay

replay

yes........ u can but a network and a usb 2.0 card........both for around 15-20 bucks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644701

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice