1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard Replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by comprookie90, Jul 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. comprookie90

comprookie90 Thread Starter

Im not sure if this is the right place to post this, so if any of you can redirect this for me id appreciate it. Recently my HP Pavilion Media Center m8000e had its motherboard died... ASUS: M2N68-LA. I do not know enough the subject, but i would like to know what i can replace this board with, since i can not find another one of the same type. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions please post back.

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

It's a trap. You can probably use almost any Am2 motherboard but if you don't buy it from HP where it will be at least 4 times what it is worth, then you will wind up buying a new copy of Windows because your restore disks will only work with an HP supplied motherboard. So you can see what they have but most likely you will be better off using the components, buying a new case, motherboard and copy of Windows.

3. comprookie90

comprookie90 Thread Starter

well, i can possibly get a copy of windows or somethingn that i can load with it, though do i need to get vista if i use the same components, like would it already be loaded on my hard drive? and if i still need to load it, well, i need a new motherboard, i have no idea what i need to do for this, like what would it have to fit in order to keep my case? the back panal or like the screws and what not that hold the motherbord into the case? and lastly, sorry, but i dont know otherwise i wouldnt ask, but if u can possibly help me find a link or something that i can actually look at different motherboards available that will work, id appreciate it, thanks alot

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

You cannot use the hard drive with Windows on it and expect it to work on other hardware, it won't and you have no Windows cd to run a repair in which case you might be able to make it work, but we can't help you there as that is illegal. The oem version of Windows on your HP is only good with the original or replacement motherboard. Any motherboard for Amd Am2 will fit the holes in case but what we don't know is many brand name models have proprietary plugs to plug in power reset and all the jumpers and the likelihood of you being able to power another board up in that case is slim which is why I suggested another case. A case would be $50-$85 and could be used over and over again. There may even be issues with plug from power supply into motherboard, it just doesn't make sense to try to use the HP case. You might be better off just buying a new pc if you don't want to go through all this.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/733942

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice