1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard replacement......?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Theoutdoorsman, Dec 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Theoutdoorsman

Theoutdoorsman Thread Starter

To make a long story short, I have a Gateway computer in which I found to have a bad motherboard. I have purchased a used Asus P4 motherboard/2.4 mhz CPU combo to breathe life back into her. The hard drive already has Windows XP Home installed on it and I would like to continue using everything currently installed on the hard drive, as well as the operating system already in place, as is. Realizing that Windows XP Home is going to find LOTS of new hardware installed when I finally boot this thing up, what is the best approach to this upgrade? I do have the driver disk for the board on hand. Should I simply boot it up and let it search for the drivers on the CD, or is this going to be a much more difficult upgrade? Does anyone have any suggestions outside this approach? Thanks, a bunch, in advance!

2. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

It depends. If the hardware abstraction layer on both boards are the same, you will only need to install the drivers as they come up. The HAL is written only once--at install. If the two boards are fundamentally different, i.e., you go from an Intel process to an AMD, or from a single core to a dual core, an install will be your only option.

Courtney

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Is this an OEM version of windows? If so legally, in accordance with the OEM EULA, unless the motherboard is an exact replacement for the original Motherboard, you have to install a new version of windows.

If this is a retail version of Windows, you may get by with out a fresh install of windows by doing a repair installation of windows by following the instructions at this site http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm normally to do this you would want to remove the drivers for the old motherboard first but, with it not working that isnt going to be really possible. Also remember that you are going to want to install all of the new motherboard and chipset drivers after the repair installation. ALso any updates and service packs that arenot included on the Windows Installation disc will have to be re-installed as well.

4. Theoutdoorsman

The motherboard replacement is not an identical replacement, however, I am not changing the HAL. The only thing changing is the brand name of the motherboard. My computer had a Gateway Intel P4 socket 478 motherboard/CPU installed, and I'll be replacing it with the Asus motherboard and also using the same type Intel CPU (socket 478), allbeit a little faster. My Windows OS is on my hard drive already. It came with the computer when purchased. Are you saying that I'll have to purchase ANOTHER copy of windows after this upgrade.........?!?!?! ..... That would really bum me out ..... :mad:

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

Technically according to the EULA you would be required to purchase a new operating system, unless you replace the failed drive with the original system manufacturers designated replacement.

Many times in the case of a failed motherboard Microsoft will allow you to make the change without having to purchase a new copy of Windows. Whether Microsoft allows it or not is dependent on who you may speak with on any given day when you have to re-activate by telephone.

6. Theoutdoorsman

Well.......as bad as I hate to....... I suppose it'd be best to just purchase a copy of Windows and reload the whole thing. Not what I was wanting to do, but I suppose it would be the safest bet. Since I'm now in the market for an O/S, I might as well give Vista a whirl. Any objections?

7. Gnomad

Gnomad

As soon as you boot it up with the new motherboard, you will need to have a new CD key for you to actually be able to log on to Windows anyway. If you are going with Vista make sure that you have plenty of RAM installed.

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

Personally, I would wait and see if they let you re-activate with the new board.

9. Gnomad

Gnomad

You actually should be able to use the one on the COA sticker on the case. You will most likely have to call to activate but there is a chance that you can activate online.

10. Theoutdoorsman

The replacement M/B in question is an Asus P4V8X-X with a P4 2.4 GHz Intel processor. (The link is to a compressed PDF file from Asus' website). My plan is to max it out with PC3200 RAM at 3 GB and add a nice agp video card (would like some suggestions here). A better power supply will be high on my list of to-do's. But, hopefully I can get by with this crappy 200 watt Gateway psu for just a little while. At least until my allowance increases anyway. Ho Ho Ho..... :rolleyes: ;) ...... The only other piece of hardware that's installed is a dvd/cdrw drive, which I'll need drivers for later. Any idea how to copy the drivers for later use? Thanks for the attention guys! Much appreciated.

11. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Go to the Asus website and download the drivers for the new motherboard. See if they have them for vista. if not the XP Drivers may work for Vista. And Vista may have some of the drivers you need native in it. No Drivers listed for Vista for this board. But the XP Drivers are here. If this is a "NEW" board and not used it should come with the drivers disc and manual. Butr if not, here is a link to the download page for your board. http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

12. Theoutdoorsman

I have the driver disk for the motherboard. I was referring to the dvd/cdrw drive in the case. Windows "should" be able to load a generic driver to make it usable though. Since it's a gateway system, I was hoping I won't have to have a proprietory driver to use it. Any suggestions for a decent video card to go with that board "DustyJay" ? (See the note in the specs pdf file regarding voltages at the link I posted above.) Thanks again.

13. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    There are no drivers other than the ones native in windows for optical drives.

And for Video Cards, agp is getting harder to find. Take a look on newegg and see what they have. That is where about the best prices are going to come from. If you are not talking anything other than casual gameplay here is one 4 $29 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130210

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/775479

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice