1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard replacment question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ro_bby, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ro_bby

Ro_bby Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a toshiba satellite pro A200 laptop which up until last week was fine for 4 years.

last week it had been switched on for about 5 hours and was properly shut down without any problems.

The next day when trying to turn the laptop on it fails to boot, and does not even make it to the system test screen. the blue light comes on and the screen breifly lights up, you can hear the machine beging to power up and after about 4 seconds everything stops.the screen stays black and nothing happens. also i might add this has happened about a week after replacing the broken toshibal laptop charger with an aftermarket version bout from ebay.

Anyway after taking the machine to a local shop i was told the motherboard has failed and needs replacing.

after a bit of researching, this is a job i would like to try myself as i have a new laptop anyway but want to use this as a little exercise to lear more about fixing these sorts of problems myself.

My first question is about sourcing a replacment board...

When looking for a replacment do i need to find the exact same model number as the faulty board which i remove from my machine or will any of the A200 series boards work with the rest of my hardware?
    The reason i ask is i cant seem to find any replacment parts for my laptop model number: (psae7e-01500uen)

If the answer to this question is no, can anyone recomend where abouts in the uk i can source the exact replacment board for this machine?

thanks
    Rob

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

It pretty much needs to be the exact same motherboard. It may have a label on it indicating the part number which it appears to be a long number beginning with with K, V or TS. It is probably $150 to $200 on Ebay.

On the three laptops I have worked on, you remove a plastic strip at the top of the keyboard. Then 2 or 3 screws on the top edge of the keyboard, then it gets fun from there. A tutorial such as this is helpful: http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/toshiba-satellite-a205/laptop-disassembly-1.htm

3. Ro_bby

Ro_bby Thread Starter

Thanks for that, it's the same link that I already found showing how to dismantle the machine. It seems fairly straight forward. The only problem now is finding the exact same replacement board

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027703

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice