Motherboard shows Memory Error and doesn't POST

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

GamerBlackAcid

Hi everyone,

I have a BIOSTAR TA880GB+ motherboard. Link for the motherboard product page can be found here. And the manual is inserted along with this post.
I am planning to use this motherboard for another PC as I recently got a new motherboard upgrade for my main PC.
The PC which i built recently had an AMD Phenom II X2 B55 (All core enabled version of X2 555BE which BIOSTAR calls as "BIO-unLocking")
So, I have a Crucial 4GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM stick with me. I have it extra so I am using that.
I built my PC and then turned it on with the Crucial stick in it and... all of the PH1,PH2,PH3 light up, but the LED_D1 does and LED_D2 doesn't.
As seen in the manual's page 20, LED_D1 ON and LED_D2 OFF means memory error.

Is this RAM stick (Crucial 4GB 1600MHz) dead? or... is it just the motherboard issue?

Attachments

GamerBlackAcid

lunarlander, I did it. But still, it doesn't POST...

The motherboard is not the issue as it worked before when it was my main PC.

According to your mobo manual....your memory channel setup only supports dual channel. That means 2 sticks, see page 9. Either in A1 -B1 or A2 -B2.

crjdriver

lunarlander, I did it. But still, it doesn't POST...

The motherboard is not the issue as it worked before when it was my main PC.
You can easily break something taking things apart and putting back together. Did you remove the cooler/heatsink fan on this system? If so, did the processor come off with the cooler?

GamerBlackAcid

bassfisher, it had 1 ram stick once and worked perfectly... I'm talking 4 years old or something...

crjdriver, Yeah... I had to replace the thermal paste so I removed the cooler and you were right... the processor came with it.

bassfisher, it had 1 ram stick once and worked perfectly... I'm talking 4 years old or something...
Whether it worked or not is irrelevant.....follow the mobo manual instructions for RAM. Not doing so can cause irrevocable damage to some or all your existing hardware.

crjdriver

crjdriver, Yeah... I had to replace the thermal paste so I removed the cooler and you were right... the processor came with it.
Well, you have your answer; you broke one or more pins on the processor and or damaged the socket. The broken pin or pins are most likely for the memory controller.
For future reference, there is a sticky at the top of the forum that explains how to remove an AMD type cooler when it is stuck on.

Last edited:

GamerBlackAcid

Alright everyone. Thank you for your replies and responses... it is really appreciated! I will try another stick of ram. If that doesn't work, well crjdriver is right. And bassfisher, I will definitely try it out. Thank you all!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online