1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard Shutdown Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gary_evans, Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gary_evans

gary_evans Thread Starter

Hi

I have bought a:
    Mach4 NVIDIA nForce 2 400 Socket A ATX Mainboard (NF24-ALH)

I have everything connected. When I turn it on, everything boots for a few seconds, although the monitor doesn't even have time to turn on before the whole thing powers down.

Two red LED's are lit when the power switch is on, and stay on after it has shutdown.
    Before I turn the power on, one LED is lit.
    I have to take the power plug out, and put it back in again before I can have another go at turning it on again.

This has got me baffled, and there is no technical support yet for this motherboard!

Someone please help me!!
    Many thanks

Gary

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Sounds like it's shorting against the case. May as well take it out, hook it up on a flat surface and test everything.

3. active95

active95

Gary..
    Do you happen to have the manual of the mobo? If you do , look under BIOS settings and see if you have a " SHUTDOWN IF CPUFAN FAILS".
    It's possible that the fan that you are using now doesn't report the rpm to the mobo , thus making the mobo think that the fan fail , hence shut it down.
    Might wanna try a different fan ( with 3 wires, yellow , red and black ) and see.
    HTH

4. gary_evans

I have isolated a grounding problem earlier, and fixed it. However I am fearing it may have hurt the board.

Will try taking it out tommorow on a flat surface and see what happens.

Yep, I've got the manual but no mention of "SHUTDOWN IF CPUFAN FAILS". The fan has the 3 wires in question also.

Could it be a dodgey mainboard? The fact that I get some output tells me otherwise, is it worth me returning the item?

Thanks for your help.
    Gary

5. active95

active95

At this point, if i was in your shoes ( and still under warranty ) ,instead of troubleshooting and hoping it will be stable , i would RMA it and get a replacement.
    HTH

6. gary_evans

I think your right. I will organise something tommorow.
    Thanks.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169484

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice