1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard suddenly won't detect installed RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zantaff, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zantaff

zantaff Thread Starter

ASUS P8Z77-V Pro

I left my computer on sleep when I went out- I came back and it had shut down. When I tried turning it back on, I was greeted with the “Cannot detect any RAM installed” beep code (One long two short).
    Since the computer wouldn’t even boot, I had limited options.
    So I took everything out. I cleaned the front and back of the mobo, cleaned the RAM contacts, switched the positions (2-8GB; 2-2GB modules) and used that MemOK button. Nothing. (If you’re wondering why I have 20GB of ram, it’s because I use Autodesk applications and other similar programs.)

Is there anything I can do to remedy this issue? (Short of buying all new ram.)
    I’m wondering what happened, and am thinking there may have been a power surge or something similar, but that doesn’t really explain why only the ram modules are not working.

~Thanks

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I do not think this is the answer

I suspect - for whatever reason the motherboard is damaged

If the beep is still the same with ONE stick of ram - trying all four - the two by 8 and the two by 2, in both slots that must be populated for a boot then that would tend to confirm, the situation

I find it hard to imagine that ALL four sticks of ram have become faulty, albeit that 2 x 8 and 2 x 2 is not a configuration that I would recommend.

I think as I said that be it the suspected power surge or an overheat situation - it is not the ram - but far more likely to a damaged chip or other component on the board

If you decide to pursue the possibility of the ram I would have your ram tested - in another board - the purchase of all new ram is IMHO the wrong way to go

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I checked the user manual for that motherboard.

One long beep followed by 2 short beeps and then a pause and then a repeat of the 1 - 2 sequence indicates "no memory detected".

It was over-kill to remove the entire motherboard and do what you did.

Why didn't you just remove and reseat the memory modules?

I agree with Macboatmaster that you probably damaged the motherboard.

-----------------------------------------------------------

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you tried using each one of the four sticks by itself?

5. zantaff

zantaff Thread Starter

Thanks for all your advice.
    I tried testing the memory sticks in every possible configuration, no dice. Since I don't really have a good way to test my ram (this computer is a MacBook) that option was out as well.
    So, I ran over to the electronics store and picked up 2x4GB PNY Memory.
    Plugged the new sticks in and got the same results - which leads me to conclude that the whole motherboard is dead.

Any suggestions for a comparable replacement? I built this PC from scratch, but have never needed to take out and replace the mobo before. Anything in particular I should look out for?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Did you clear the CMOS using the jumper? The location and use of it will be in the motherboard manual.

You'd rarely have 4 sticks of RAM just so it makes sense the problem is something else.

7. zantaff

zantaff Thread Starter

Did a CMOS reset. Same results.
    I finally convinced a friend to let me inside his PC, and my ram is working fine. So unless there are any other practical solutions it looks like a new mobo for me. Time to decide what to get.

8. Macboatmaster

I would be careful which way you jump, if you do not mind me pointing that out
    I did mention that I thought the purchase of new ram was not the best way forward, and suggested that you do what you have now done - in post 7.

I think care is needed here - it could be the PSU or alternatively the processor
    I would not if it was me go too quickly down the road of buying a new board

Are the fans working when it is powered on

9. zantaff

zantaff Thread Starter

Yes they are. The HDDs spin up and my LED mousepad lights up as well.

Thank for the help. Sorry If i'm jumping at solutions, I just want a running PC again!

10. Macboatmaster

What graphics are in the computer by way of a card or is it running integrated in the processor

No need for any apologies by the way -

11. Macboatmaster

Further to the above next to the main power connection is a DRAM LED is that lit and what is the blinking state of that when the memOk button is pressed

and looking at 2.2.6 of your user manual what other leds are indicating on boot checking

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144143

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice