Motherboard supports cpu still it's not working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

stonedking

Hi, before you ask, yes I've checked for compatibility and it should have been okay. To make the long story short I've bought this motherboard for a about 20$, didn't expect to much of it. I only needed it to fix an old computer for my nephew, the thing is i can't figure out why it isn't working I put everything together and installed a core 2 duo e8400 on the motherboard, but i get a continuous beep even though i know for sure the cpu is working since i test it on another system and all seems to be fine. I really don't know what is the problem. Currently i am using an intel pentium 4 dual core on the system. My specs:
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2220 @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 4095 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 147 GB
Motherboard:Acer G43d01 Intel G43

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Used mother board and the CPU fails, tells me that the CPU socket just may be damaged.

managed

Allan
Try removing the Graphics card and using the motherboard's Graphics.

What Power Supply are you using ?

stonedking

Used mother board and the CPU fails, tells me that the CPU socket just may be damaged.
But I am using a Pentium 4 on it and it's working just fine. From what I understood the problem may be that I use single-channel memory on the system when I should have used double-sided.

managed

Allan
Since the P4 works ok we can assume the PSU is working well too.

The Bios has to have the correct microcode for a Cpu otherwise it won't work. I think that could be the problem.

stonedking

The Bios has to have the correct microcode for a Cpu otherwise it won't work. I think that could be the problem.

the reason why the core 2 duo e8400 was not working was due to the fact that I was using single channeled memory i test it now and using dual-channeled memory it's working fine. Now i just wonder if i could use a modded xeon e5420 on it.

managed

Allan
Good fix. Dual sided or Dual channel ? Just curious.

Unless you can find something online saying it's been done I suspect the only way to see if the modded Xeon would work is to try it.

stonedking

Good fix. Dual sided or Dual channel ? Just curious.

Unless you can find something online saying it's been done I suspect the only way to see if the modded Xeon would work is to try it.
Sorry, i meant dual-sided. And yes, i've read on multiple forums both that it should work and that it won't work., i have to give it a try, since i have a xeon e5429 laying around from an old build.

managed

Allan
I think you need an adapter to try the Xeon. Good luck with that. :) Please let us know how it goes.

stonedking

I think you need an adapter to try the Xeon. Good luck with that. :) Please let us know how it goes.
The processor it's already modded to work on 775 socket, but unfortunately, I don't have the double-sided memory to test it anymore, i also know that I need to patch the bios with certain microcodes. When I will have the means to test it again, I will let you know if it's working or not. Overall, if it does work, you get quite a good deal the CPU and motherboard making a total of 30$ lol.

managed

Allan
Nice project, cheap too. ;) Should be a nice PC for your nephew.

Ebay will have the ram if your budget will stretch that far !

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online