1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard swap without reinstallation possible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by farn451, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. farn451

farn451 Thread Starter

I know that a new motherboard will normally require a reinstallation of the OS but I'm wondering if it's possible to get by without it in my case. I am running Windows XP on a Gigabyte GA-7VAXP motherboard and want to upgrade to a Gigabyte GA-7VT600. The GA-7VAXP is based on VIA's KT-400 chipset while the GA-7VT600 is based on VIA's new KT-600 chipset. In other respects, e.g., IDE controller, they are basically the same.

As such, is it possible to just swap out the motherboards and use the same Windows XP installation, having Plug & Play detect and make any changes necessary due to the different chipset? Is there anything I can do to make this possibility more likely? I'd really like to avoid a reinstallation if at all possible.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Before you shut down, uninstall EVERYTHING relating to all the motherboard functions in device manager.

Its certainly not ideal, you may get away with it however.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

You just might be able to get away with it in this case because they are the same maker and both use the VIA drivers.
    First download and install the latest VIA 4in1 drivers. Then do a back-up of your system. Change the motherboard and boot into safe mode. Reinstall the 4in1 drivers and reboot.
    Good Luck

4. milomorai

milomorai

make sure that you first boot into safe mode, go into device manager and remove ALL system entries (that clears out all the info for the old mobo), then shut down, install new mobo and boot normally. after installing the 4in1 drivers for the new mobo, go to gigabyte's site and get the latest 4in1 drivers and install them. should do the trick without losing anything on the hd.

5. hammerbill

hammerbill

Chances are likely that you will be able to do it but you will have to "re-activate so that you can help microsoft fight piracy". There is a point system in win xp. Each device is worth a certain amount of points and when windows detects that you have replaced up to a certain level of points worth of devices, you must reactivate. But as far as the actual ability to do it, almost definately you can.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Most of the time, yes you can do the swap. I always recommend a clean install of the os when upgrading the mb. If you want to do this here is how I do it for people who do not want a clean install.

Uninstall all software that is related to the old mb such as onboard drivers, hw monitoring, etc.
    Change ide controller to standard ide.
    Remove as many mb devices from device manager as possible. When it wants to reboot do not reboot.

Now shutdown and do the swap. Set bios to boot from cd as first boot device. Restart with xp cd in the drive. After setup loads choose install not repair from the first screen. Setup will detect your previous installation and offer to repair it for you; let is do so. Note you will need to reapply service packs, hot fixes, patches, and possibly dx upgrades.

I have done this procedure many times and it works well if you do not want a clean install.

7. farn451

farn451 Thread Starter

I went ahead and made the swap, essentially going with a combo of DaveBurnett and milomorai's suggestions since they seemed to be the simplest. I did uninstall as many MB devices as possible before the swap. After the swap, Windows XP went through a long litany of finding new devices and installing drivers but, after all was over, my previous Windows XP installation and all settings continued to work fine. Thanks, all.

P.S. hammerbill was right, I did have to reactivate Windows XP. But that was a lot quicker than a reinstallation.

8. suesman

suesman

I just done the same thing yesterday. Installed a new MB that is. I went from a KT333 to a KT400 completely different make. Everything went fine & all is working good. However I didn't have to reactivate. :D I really thought I would as well.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171111

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice