Motherboard switch settings

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

crcook84

I did some upgrading to my motherboard and when I tried tweaking it, I got an error message. My specs (at least the ones that seem pertinent to this problem):

ASUS Z97-A motherboard
Crucial 8GB RAM
Intel Core i5
EVGA GeForce 970

I have two switches on my motherboard which, supposedly, optimize the CPU and power consumption:

EPU switch (optimizes power consumption)
TPU switch (optimizes CPU usage)

I switch those on and, after 5 or 10 minutes, I get this error message: WHEA_UNCORRECTIBLE_ERROR. The computer then restarts. The only thing I can think that is wrong is that I didn’t set the switches before installing Windows. Because it was done after the installation, the system didn’t have a chance to adjust certain settings to take advantage of the switch settings and can’t make the appropriate changes that easily. At this point, it’s not that big of a deal. The FPS on all my games is plenty smooth, even on ultra settings. Heck, I’m sure the switches will only make a marginal difference while I play (something only a hardcore individual would nitpick at). My question is what do I need to do to make the switches work.

What does your manual say about those switches.....that's where I'd start looking for information about them?

crcook84

Here it is straight from the manual:

EPU Switch
Enable this switch to automatically detect the current PC loadings and intelligently moderate the power consumption.

If you enable this switch under Windows OS environment, the EPU function will be activated after the next system bootup.

You may change the EPU settings in the software application or BIOS setup program and enable the EPU function at the same time. However, the system will use the last setting you have made.
TPU Switch
When the TPU switch is set to Enabled (TPU_I: CPU Ratio Boost), the system automatically adjusts the CPU ratio for an enhanced performance.

When the TPU switch is set to Enabled (TPU_II: CPU BCLK and Ratio Boost), the system automatically adjusts the base clock rate (BLCK) and the CPU ratio for a more enhanced performance.

If you enable this switch under Windows OS environment, the TPU function will be activated after the next system bootup.

You may use the 5-Way Optimization and TPU feature in the AI Suite 3 application, adjust the BIOS setup program or enable the TPU switch at the same time. However, the system will use the last setting you have made.
If these switches need to be used in conjunction with tweaking some settings in BIOS or a program that can be installed in Windows, I got no problem doing that. However, what I got from this is that it will use the most immediate settings available when you turn on your computer the next time. you can then adjust the settings as you go.

Personally, I don't put to much stock into those kinds of things.....being a PC enthusiast/builder/tweaker, I do some light OC'ing, so that's all null for me.

managed

Allan
I would turn that TPU switch to OFF and see if that message goes away.

crcook84

I would turn that TPU switch to OFF and see if that message goes away.
It did. Both switches are off. I imagine I could turn on the EPU without any problems. I suspect that it's something about the TPU that causes Windows to crash. However, unless someone can post a benefit to utilizing the TPU, I don't think it's worth the effort of fighting with my computer to get it to work.

managed

Allan
I agree, not worth the effort for a PC that already does everything you need. (y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online