Motherboard Temps

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

RLJ1959

Point well taken JohnWill, I have tried a couple of the mbm programs available and they tell me my system temp is up around 65c but the HW monitor in the bios says its only 35c. My cpu temp stays around 30 to 35c. My question is, should I trust the bios or one of these free hardware monitoring programs?

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Well you see thats a complicated question. The BIOS should always show the correct readings but when you first boot the PC the processor is running at 100%. While running Windows the CPU may not be running at 100%. This would be the case if you are using AMD's Quiet & Cool Technology or a new Intel processor that has the ability to turn of unused parts of the processor and downclock the processor speed.

So the BIOS temp is correct at the time you are looking at it but not necessarily the same after loading into Windows.

Software applications rely on the exact same temperature sensors that are read by the BIOS. They, however, displayed the results exactly as they are read. That means if the Motherboard manufacturer knows that the sensors read the temp too low or too high then it actually is then can re-calculate the temp to display the approximate 'real' temp. Third party programs do NOT this with a few exceptions. This is the case with almost every Gigabyte motherboard. However if the motherboard manufacturer releases a Temperature monitor program then it would know to compensate and show the approximate 'real' temperature. This is usually done because the sensors are not only cheap 10 cent components but cannot always be placed in a location that gets the best reading and of course it can't show the true core temperature of the processor.

RLJ1959

Thanx for the reply, Before I upgraded to xp 64 OS, I had MSI's Corecenter installed and it always read between 30 and 35 degrees on both the cpu and system temps. 35 degrees is the highest my cpu has ever been because its cooled with a water block. That Corecenter won't work with xp 64 OS.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Seems like a lot of stuff doesn't work with Windows XP x64. Hence why most most people don't bother using it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online