1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

motherboard test?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dbadoo44, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dbadoo44

Dbadoo44 Thread Starter

I put my second computer together and in the process of installing the h/s & fan I nicked the board. Under magnification it looks like four threads are involved. The system powers up but the A drive is steady on. Two separate problems? How do I test the board or the other components to figure out what is going on? The area involved is at 7 o'clock to the CPU..
    Thanks,
    Dana

2. Brockman

Brockman

The A DRIVE LIGHT STAYING ON USUALLY MEANS CABLE IN BACKWARDS.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, if the traces are actually severed, this will have to be repaired if you expect the board to work. OTOH, if they're not cut through, I'd leave them alone.

First stop is a good magnifier and light, see if the damage is significant, or just to the mask coating on the board.

4. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Yes,two separate issues.
    1.The ribbon cable on the floppy is connected backwards.
    2.Like John said,if they are just slight scratchs on the surface of the board,you will probably be ok.
    a.If the scratches go thru the top layer and just expose the conducting layer underneath,you should try the board as though nothing is wrong,and cross your fingers.
    b.If it works,coat the scratches with a bit of clear fingernail polish.
    c.If the board doesn't work,don't assume that the scratches are the reason until all other avenues have been checked out.It may take a bit of very thorough testing to see if this small physical damage will affect the boards performance.You might be surprised at how little a "Flesh wound" can affect the system,but if it causes a fault,it will do it every time...

Can you get a picture,or scan of it for us to see?

5. Dbadoo44

Dbadoo44 Thread Starter

Thanks for the response, right now I have power to all except A drive and no video. I have pictures of the nick where should I send them.

6. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Attach them to your next post here...

7. Dbadoo44

Dbadoo44 Thread Starter

How? We have Yahoo if you sign on.

8. Dbadoo44

Dbadoo44 Thread Starter

Ok got it, I was using the quickreply link

Attached Files:

9. Dbadoo44

Dbadoo44 Thread Starter

Another shot of the scratch

Attached Files:

10. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

From looking at those,I'd say the surface has been scratched off,but I can't see if the conducting layer beneath has been severed.I'd keep going...,but be sure that no fragmants of material are loose on that spot.

Since this kind of damage pretty much shoots a warranty (at least from a manufacturer),if the board fails to work,you may be able to get it exchanged at the shop you bought it from,but I wouldn't bet on it.
    Like I said...,keep going...

( But you'll be a LOT more careful next time,right? ) ;)

11. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Oh,and just to check the board...,power it up with only the CPU,video card,and 1 RAM stick installed,nothing else connected to the board.You should be able to see if there are any major issues with it right then,and enter the BIOS.
    Pay attention to the resulting beep-codes when you power it up.

12. Dbadoo44

Dbadoo44 Thread Starter

Should the moniter be connected to the board or off the card?

13. Dbadoo44

Dbadoo44 Thread Starter

with the moniter connected to the video card and no drives hooked up I got no video and no beeps. This does not look good. I think I will tackle it tomorrow.
    Thanks

14. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Yes,the monitor needs to be connected,you did have it turned on...,right?
    First thing then is to go over the motherboard configurations in the manual.
    Be sure that all jumpers and plugs are correctly seated on the board.Make sure that the video card,CPU and RAM are completely seated as well and the power-supply is plugged in and turned 'ON'.
    (yes...I have tried to start a computer without plugging in the power-supply...more than once...duhhh)

Keep at it...,you'll get there...

15. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

And don't get too discouraged yet...
    Seeing nothing at all is better than seeing smoke and fire...
    LOL!!!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168498

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice