1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard Testing Software ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wogster, Feb 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wogster

Wogster Thread Starter

Does anyone know of this... (Motherboard testing software)?.

We are using a Shuttle HOT - 166 350 MHz PCI\AGP. I have overclocked it to 434 MHz and have 224 mbs PC100 SDRAM. I've been told by friends that all motherboards made also, or should have this testing software available. I would like to know all that I can about our computer, does anyone know about this testing software?

2. rugrat

rugrat

3. Wogster

Wogster Thread Starter

Hi rugrat, thanks for the reply... I have Aida32 on my system for a long time now. Aida will only tell you text info that's in your computer, but this is not what I'm after...

There really is software that either the manufactuer uses, or a computer tech would have to set up your motherboard. I have heard through a guy at work who has it for his MB (different manufacter), but he won't tell me who he got it from. He said that it has to be for your spacific MB. As I've said, in case anyone out there can help me...

I have a Shuttle HOT 661 Mainboard, Chipset is Intel Natoma 82440BX/ZX BIOS v4.51 PGM 2A69K (661OS131) BIOS Date: 02/09/99

The number on boot-up is:
    02/09/1999 - i440BX - ITE867 - 2A69KH2BC - 00

Does anyone know, or have used such software that were you can directly tweak settings on the MB (for the perpose of overclocking, and if so is it possibly only available for newer MB's, and not an oldie like mine...??

4. Wogster

Wogster Thread Starter

Oh, while I'm still in here.... could you tell me 2 things?

1.) Alot of people in this chat forum use the term "PSU", what does it stand for?

2.) How do I get an Icon beside my name, do I get to select what I want, what about pixel size, I've asked this question a few times in different area's of discussion in the forum but have yet to get an answer from anyone.

Thanks, Wogster.

5. dickster

dickster

Hi Wogster.

PSU= power supply unit.

As for the avatar, go to user panel>edit options At the bottom click change avatar, and it should load a bunch. Pick one, and it should load in your settings. At least I think thats how it works. Been a while!! :)

6. Wogster

Wogster Thread Starter

Thanks dickster.... as you can see, your solution to the avatar worked just fine. My wife said she had picked the one that I selected even before she knew that I had. I guess that proves it to be one best suited for me.

While I'm back in here, I have a question involving hardware...
    since only recently the cd-burner has taken on the role of the cd-rom, well kind of... what I mean is the cd-rom used the have autoplay (autostart), and now it does not, only by mistake I found out that the burner automatically started playing a music disk that I just finished burning. Are you understanding what I'm saying? How do I get the cd-rom's autostart back, can they both have autostart, or only one can? I've never ecountered such a quark before...

7. rugrat

rugrat

Depends on the operating system, but in windows 9x, go to control panel, system, device manager. Open the cd rom column and highlight the cd rom device and click properties. Ensure the "Auto insert notification" box is checked.

SeeYa

8. Wogster

Wogster Thread Starter

Thanks again, rugrat..... this fixed the problem. As soon as it told me to reboot, I poped in a music disk and it started playing right away.

9. Wogster

Wogster Thread Starter

I want be build a new CPU, it will be a long process since my spare money is kinda shallow these days... I guess I should see what kind of MB I could afford first, a PIII or maybe a P4, I'm thinking in the lines of a PIII and overclock the sucker a little. Are PIII's still available... new or will I have to buy used? I would be building it into a new case, so power supply would also be a big factor I'm shure, it's calculated in wattage is it not ? Anyways...

I know I have tons to learn before it's finished, but I know a bigger case is a must. It will be an upgrade to what we're using the wife and I, unless some good deals on used (but good) equipment happens to come my way during this project. Our current Intel PII 434 Mhz (overclocked), 512 mb PC133 SDRAM, 15 Gig HDD, with an updated Diamond Stealth 540S Graphics card, and a SB Live Value card, is in fact too old to except most of the going software (games mostly)... and will not be upgraded to Win XP. My reason to build something faster !!!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117644

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice