1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard Upgrade Questions (URGENT)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kids_Ranqe, Dec 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kids_Ranqe

Kids_Ranqe Thread Starter

Hi there, had been away from my computer for literally about two years, then ended up digging out my old Dell Inspiron 530.
    I thought to myself well I have a 9800GT 1GB, 1GB of RAM and a 1.8GHz Pentium Dual Core CPU, so I should probably upgrade this. Decided to purchase myself some new parts from eBay, which have started arriving. I ordered myself the following pieces of hardware for the build: 500w PSU, Case, 2x2GB PNY PC2-6400 800MHz RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo E6550, CPU Heatsink Upgrade and a new Wireless PCI card.

The CPU works, using it right now installed on the Foxconn G33M02 motherboard, with 1GB of RAM installed as of current, however I do have the RAM at hand. The problem is the fact that the G33M02 cannot support 2GB RAM sticks per DIMM slot at PC2-6400, or otherwise as far as I'm aware. So I'm reckoning that I should upgrade the motherboard. However I don't know what to upgrade it to, I'm short on cash right now (19) and just looking for cheaper components that will get the job done. The case itself has a fried power switch, the LEDs all work when connected to the front panel connectors on the motherboard but fails to boot when I press the switch, so I've reverted back to the Dell Inspiron 530 case, which infact looks a lot worse as it has a fair bit of cosmetic damage from over the years. I'm literally going to be poor for the next few weeks (spent christmas money already, don't get paid until January but I'm still going to be short on cash). I need to use this Inspiron case for the motherboard upgrade. Is there anything anyone can suggest for me to upgrade to, and what would fit in the case? I'm aware that the G33M02 itself is an M-ATX motherboard, but I know Dell enjoy their OEM parts so that you upgrade directly through them.
    Thanks in advance :)

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are correct that dells are proprietary and standard mb do not fit correctly. There is one other big issue that you will need to address; unless you purchase a replacement mb from dell, you need a new copy of windows.

OEM type windows lic live and die with the original hardware ie mb. The only way around this is to purchase a direct replacement board [ie the same board you have now] from dell.

3. Kids_Ranqe

Thanks, I could get myself a Windows 7 disk quite cheap in the next month or so considering Windows 8 is out (I'll guess around £40-50) Will a different M-ATX motherboard fit in the case or am I tripping here?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Really each dell case is somewhat different; you have to measure. I would really just get a new case and be done with the problem. Save your money until you can get a decent case. I just used this case in a build for myself and it is ok; not great however for the price AND free shipping it is a good deal. Pretty quiet and there is ample room to route cables behind the mb tray so you get good airflow through the case.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147161

5. Kids_Ranqe

Fair enough, I'm going to have to get a good case anyway, I think I'll just save up and get myself a a RoG Formula motherboard, about 16GB of ram and a 7970 or something, I know this is wildly off topic but im better off just doing that as this rig is going to be outdated regardless of upgrades, unless I just turn it into a media centre PC or a FreeNAS build.
    Thanks for the help anyway, appreciate it, you do a good job on here :)

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I use an older system as NAS [old nforce4 mb, fx55 and 2gig of ram running win2k] works great and I still like using win2k.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081956

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice