1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chrisgoo, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chrisgoo

chrisgoo Thread Starter

We had a working Gigabyte GA-8IPE775-G.

Now whenever I try and turn it on it gives a 'pfft' sound and absolutely nothing happens - so have been running the old pentium 3 ever since but now looking to upgrade it.

Any suggestions??

Also just searching around other threads, doing a straight mobo swapover (transplanting all parts) isn't the only thing I have to do?

My bro says 2-3 years is about the lifespan of a mobo these days? Any truth to that?

Cheers
    Chris

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

1) No, the lifespan of motherboards isn't 2 to 3 years. A good motherboard should last much longer.

2) If you don't buy the exact model of board you have, you will have to do a repair install

3) ASUS, Intel, Gigabyte (despite your problem), Abit, all reputable brands. With whatever Intel processor you have, an Intel board is generally the best choice if you don't plan to overclock. Whatever you get, stick with an Intel chipset.

4) If you plan to do this, get a new power supply as well. That could have been the cause of this failure. Sparkle, Antec, FSP, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling are some reputable PSU manufacturers.

5) Be sure to reapply thermal paste

3. chrisgoo

chrisgoo Thread Starter

4) If you plan to do this, get a new power supply as well. That could have been the cause of this failure.

Interesting you mention that, as first time we had a problem, there was a beeping sound which according to the Gigabyte troubleshoot guide was a power supply problem... but it only happened once. We have a Shaw ATX-500W power supply. Do you think a new power supply would be worth trying b4 mobo??

Chris

4. telegramsam

telegramsam

Oh most definitely replace it. Once is enough. I've never even HEARD of a Shaw power supply. And yeah, it wouldn't hurt to give it a try before you buy a motherboard. It's really hard to determine if the PSU or the Mobo are your problem. Trying a known good power supply is an important step in diagnosing a problem.

I don't know what the rest of your specs are to help determine how much power supply you need, but see the list above for reputable manufacturers.

Hopefully it was only the board that got torched...

5. chrisgoo

chrisgoo Thread Starter

Yeah it's the only board we have used with power supply, although I've used the SHAW power supply for our old pentium 3 just to check if it was working and it still works (not in the computer now). The CODEGEN brand PSU (250W) powering the P3 is still going strong after 6 years.

Antec, Topower, Super Flower, Coolermaster and Thermitake are other brands that local shop sells, Shaw is the cheapest of the brands.

Setup of computer is pretty standard, we don't use it for gaming or anything so it's Pentium 4, 512MB ram, 2 HD's, floppy, DL-DVD burner with an ASUS video card in the AGP slot.

So I'm guessing it's prob a combination of PSU and mobo... hopefully everything else is ok.

I posted the various symptoms last year in the following link, it died around Nov 06.
    http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/478409-various-symptoms-hijack-log-inc.html

6. telegramsam

telegramsam

Start with a new power supply, and do an out of case build. You can get a 300W Sparkle for around $30.00.

If that doesn't work, then move on to the motherboard.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544445

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice