1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard Vs RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SistemaTR, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SistemaTR

SistemaTR Thread Starter

Hello folks,

I currently own a pretty good but rather out-dated system, here's my specs:
    Now, I would like to buy a new RAM stick, a single 1024 MB one.I'm not looking for anything superb though, just something that will replace my current 2x512 MB sticks (I'm suspicious that they're not functioning correctly anymore. A game I play, "Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne", gives me a Fatal Error, and when I Google'd it, 90% of the users who had the same problem were told to replace their RAM). But I'm not sure if they would work on my motherboard.

I am wondering if a 1024 MB Kingston DDR2 667 PC2-5300 RAM (which is what I'm planning on buying, if you have any other, 'better' recommendation, I'd like to hear it) is compatible with, or will work, or function on my system (namely my motherboard). The RAM seems to be a 240 pin module. I have no idea how many pins my current RAM's have. Though if it has it written anywhere on the sticks themselves, or if there's any way to count them, I can go ahead and open the case and check it out.

What I'm asking here is, will a DDR2 stick work on my ASUS P4P800 ?
    I'd be very happy if anyone can help me. Thank you all!

~SistemaTR~

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Your board does not support DDR2. You need 184 pin DDR. Go to www.crucial.com and run the online scan and it will tell you exactly what you can use.

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

Since you have slot 3 and slot 4 empty, I would buy 2 sticks of 512mb PC3200 since you are currently running PC3200 and add them to slots 3 and 4.

4. SistemaTR

SistemaTR Thread Starter

I see, thank you.

Is there any difference between having 2x512 and just one 1024 stick?

I mean, would having two sticks cause any malfunction of any type?
    Because at the moment my current RAM "looks" fine in my point of view. And I don't see any better types of RAM on the market than the ones I have now. So asuming there's no problem with my RAM at the moment, I wouldn't buy a new set. And if there is a problem, I wouldn't want to buy a new set and add them on with the old ones :p

So what I would do is buy a new set ONLY if mine have problems. And IF I will buy new ones, I would like to know if there are any "better" ones out there. And also I'm not sure whether I should buy 2x512 or 1x1024.

Recommendations when it comes to brands? Kingston? Corsair? Bigboy? TwinMOS?

5. Book

Book

Buying 2x512 RAM sticks is a better choice for 2 reasons: It's faster, and it costs less (I think).

RAM's have lifetime warranty so why don't you just get new sticks through your warranty?

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

The first thing you should do is to go to; http://www.memtest.org/ and download Memtest 86, build a floppy and run the memory diagnostic. Let the diagnostic program make at least 4 passes.

From the information you posted your memory is located in slot 1 and slot 2. With the memory in these slots, you are running the memory in single channel mode. Move the memory module you have in slot 2 to slot 3 and you will be running in dual channel mode and your performance should be increased.

How to configure your memory is located on PDF page 38 of the manual located here;

http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/p4p800/e1324_p4p800.pdf

7. SistemaTR

SistemaTR Thread Starter

I've switched one of the sticks over to Slot #3.

Now when I run CPU-Z, the following have changed:
    I hope that will make the performance of the computer better. Now on the boot screen it gives me "Dual Channel" instead of Single. :)

And I will try Memtest and let you know how it goes. Thanks!

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Well you mobviously had dual channel capability you were not using. there should be a slight improvement but not really that noticeable. Dual channel ram runs alternate slots in a system.
    As for 2 sticks vs 1, that makes no difference as suggested except price.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591599

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice