1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

motherboard will allow vista install but not xp???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by christianstipano, May 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. christianstipano

christianstipano Thread Starter

Hi guys today i swapped the motherboard from my pc which was running vista to our older pc which is running xp not only that but i put a new 300gig drive in the xp machine and was planning to clean install xp again however it wont let me boot into xp setup it gets to the first screen you know where its preparing setup files etc.. then after that i get the blue screen with the error 0x0000007B, the hard drive is being detected and all should work fine i have removed everything from the motherboard but the bare essentials, and the interesting thing is when i run the vista install cd it gets to the setup steps without a hitch so im wondering does vista affect something on the motherboard when it has been previously installed which prevents xp from being installed again? and if so how do i reset it back to factory condition, i have already tried resetting cmos to defaults, any ideas?

2. Sponsor

3. The Hound

The Hound

4. christianstipano

yeah i already read through that not to helpfull, does vista actually alter the bios on the motherboard? if so i guess thats why i cant install xp but can install vista, if i update the bios on my motherboard will that fix it and allow me to reinstall xp?

5. The Hound

The Hound

I think it's more likely the hard disk controller--chipset drivers. Was the mobo you moved originally installed in a machine that shipped with Vista? You might check with the mobo manufacturer for an XP compatible HD controller driver or BIOS version written to run with XP.

>>Edit: This article might be more to the point: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314859/

6. christianstipano

Hi thanks yeah it was a custom built pc by me and a friend its got a asus p5ld2-vm motherboard i think ill try downloading an xp driver off their website and give that a go, ill let you know soon how it goes.

7. happyrck

happyrck

I just installed xp pro on a computer that was purchased with vista on it..it would not run the software that the client HAD to have..went without hitch...format the drive before trying to install xp...you won't be able to install any drivers unless you use the F6 when installing windows and you shouldn't need any until you get windows installed

8. christianstipano

im just gonna install vista first and dual boot xp after i cant be bothered with trying new drivers, thanks for your help.

9. christianstipano

hi happyrck sorry i didnt see your reply, i just realised maybe the drive isnt formatted yet! ill plug it into an external case format it on my other pc and then try again.

10. christianstipano

just installed vista its working fine then tried to install xp over the top but i get the exact same blue screen as before after the very first stage of xp install really annoying this is wasting my time majorly, do you guys think that if i update my motherboards bios with the lastest from the asus website that it will fix the prob?

11. happyrck

happyrck

look here and see if this helps

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/578007

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice