1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

motherboard wont boot past bios

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mike685436, Jan 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mike685436

mike685436 Thread Starter

MY SPECS
    Motherboard: Asus p8z68 v-le
    Ram:1600ddr3 2x4gb kingston
    video card: gtx460
    CPU: intel5 2500k with hyper 212
    PSU: basiq 550w+
    OS:windows 7 professional 32 bit(going to upgrade to 64 bit soon)

i just finished building my rig and i dont get any beeps except for one which indicates the successful post. my problem is my motherboard go's straight to bios and when i exit bios it restarts and go's right back. ive checked all the cables, had the ram replaced, cpu fan was installed correctly, everything is normal. i don't know why it wont continue forward. although i dont have a cd-drive because my old one is a IDE cable version and the new motherboard i got doesn't support it, could this be a problem? i always booted from the harddrive also.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If you don't have an optical drive, how did you install the OS on your hard drive for the new computer? If you are trying to boot to a hard drive that has Win 7 installed on it while it wa in a different computer, it isn't going to work anyway, New motherboard requires clean istallation of Windows 7.

3. mike685436

mike685436 Thread Starter

hey your were that guy who helped with my last problem. i did indeed have windows 7 installed on my old computer but im still using the same harddrive. the only thing i replaced was the CPU and motherboard. so if i reinstalled windows 7 would that erase everything? should i back it up first?

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Usually a CPU change alone will be fine. It is the different Motherboard that will require the Clean Installation of windows. This is because of the Different Chipsets on the two motherboards. Yes everything will be erased from the partition you install windows to. Back up your documents and files that you want to keep. All of your installed programs will have to be reinstalled.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1034090

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice