1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheShadow395, Jan 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheShadow395

TheShadow395 Thread Starter

I have a Dell PC, about two years old now. It wasn't top of the range then, and it certainly isn't now. The only things I've updated are the RAM (128MB->256MB) and have fitted a new HDD. I don't know very much about Hardware, and was wondering about installing a new CPU.

Dell, however, are extremely unhelpful in this matter, and do not provide any information in the manual, and also refuse to give any more information on their support site, saying it is "like changing a car engine" and saying... well, that it's impossible.

My Sys Specs

PIII 500MHz
    256MB 100MHz SDRAM
    16MB Voodoo 3 3000 AGP
    13GB Matrox 5400rpm HDD
    60GB Matrox 7200rpm HDD

Any idea what socket my MB is, or anything else helpful? 'Parently my CPU runs at 100MHz externally, in case that helps.

Thanks,
    Alex

2. n2gun

n2gun

Without knowing what motherboard you have there is no way of telling. Do you have any documentation that tells you what it is? Maybe and it is just maybe even the model number of your computer might help.

3. TheShadow395

TheShadow395 Thread Starter

That's the problem - Dell just refuse to give any kind of assistance to you updating your processor, and the manual doesn't mention the motherboard name or type :(

The model, though, is a Dell Dimension XPS T500.

These are the categories in the tech specs section:

Microprocessor
    System Information
    Expansion Bus
    System Clock
    Memory
    Drives
    Ports and Connectors

and a few other irrelavent ones.

A tech support/sales person I spoke to at an online computer store said to look on the MB, but I can't find a name anywhere, and I definitely don't want to dismantle my PC to try and find it - I don't know very much about HW :(

4. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

That system came with two versions of the Intel SE440BX board.
    The SE440BX supports only up to a PIII 450 MHZ. However the SE440BX-2 (which you apparently have) supports up to a PIII 550 MHZ. IMHO maximizing up to 550 MHZ would not be worth the expense.

Just a thought.

Kilowatt

EDIT: By the way, it is a Slot 1 type processor.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111503

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice