1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Motherboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blakes7, Jul 29, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Blakes7

Blakes7 Thread Starter

Hi! My brother's computer---amd ryzen 2200g, asus 450M-A/CSM mother board, baracuda 500gb harddrive, Crucial 8GB DDR4 2666 Unbuffered Memory CT8G4DFS8266, dvd optical drive, and FSP Hyper M 85+ 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified Semi Modular Active PFC Power Supply (HA550), was locking up. I finally came across error code 0xc0000017 and tried every fix I dould find. Finally, I wiped the hard drive with dban, which also said at the end that the drive was good. I tried to reinstall windows 10, but it locked up at the first screen. Then I tried linux mint from a dvds and that booted up, counted down to a boot to the install screen, and the screen went blank. I thought may be the dvd drive had gone bad---it shouldn't the computer is 4 months old, so I tried booting from a usb stick withe same result. I'm running memtest now---it passed the first 11 tests. The only thing left is the motherboard. Is there any diagnostics for a motherboard? Any way to tell if it's bad? Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

There are a number of bios updates on the support page that address both compatibility and performance. Are you running the latest bios?
    What are your temps and voltages; specifically cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Read your motherboard manual as to the location of the hardware monitor part of the bios [that is where you will find the info]
    Let the system run in the bios for at least 2min to stabilize temps and voltages.

I notice you list a single ram chip. Have you tried the ram in different slots?

3. Blakes7

Blakes7 Thread Starter

Thanks for thr response. It passed the memtest---no errors. When I ordered the computer, I told them I wanted the bios updated because I read there could be problems with asus board with ryzen without the latest bios. They said they did. I'll check the bios readings tomorrow. I thought of something else. Could the problem be with the power supply? Thanks.

4. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    Here are your motherboard drivers if you need them.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is why I asked you what your voltages are running.

6. Blakes7

Blakes7 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. The voltages are: 12v 11.968 5v 5.123 3.3v 3.313. The cpu temperature started at 39, then went to 46, but when I arrowed the menu back and forth across the top a few times, it jumped up to 51 degrees, and when I stopped, it returned to 46.
    VDDCR CPU voltage 1.400v
    VDDCR SOC voltage 1.100v
    mothernoard temp 36 degrees
    BIOS version 1002 x64
    I noticed on the sight that the latest BIOS version is 1607. Further research suggests that the latest asus BIOS updates are for amd 3000 series. Whether that means anything, I don't know. Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Those are ok. As long as the voltages remain constant ie do not go up and down, the pw supply is probably fine. FSP pw supplies are ok as long as you have one with the 5yr warranty. The ones with 2~3 yr warranties are junk.
    The only voltage that should change while in the bios is vcore or cpu voltage; all others should remain constant.

8. Blakes7

Blakes7 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. What do I do now? What can the problem be? Should I flash the BIOS?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The only real way you are going to "Test" the motherboard is to swap it for a known good unit. There are testing procedures that can be done in an electronics lab however the fee would FAR exceed the cost of the motherboard.

What I would do;
    1 Flash bios to the latest release bios [NOT a beta bios]
    2 Check both atx and aux pw connections for any signs of arcing and or burn marks
    3 Be sure ram is fully seated in slots
    4 Now attempt an install of windows. If it still fails, you are down to either pw supply, ram, motherboard, or cpu. With a cpu, it generally either works or does not work so you would be down to ram, mb, or pw supply.

10. Blakes7

Blakes7 Thread Starter

Thanks for thr reply. I'm going to call the computer builder tomorrow, before I flssh the BIOS to make sure I'm not voiding the warranty.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

ALL bios updates are done at the owner's risk; ie you mess it up and it is your problem NOT the mfg or builder. No motherboard mfg I know of will warrant a board that has died from a bad bios flash.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Before attempting a bios update, read the motherboard manual and be sure you fully understand the flashing procedure. The ONLY way I ever update a bios on an asus board is by using EZFlash which is built into the bios. Using a windows based program to flash the bios is just asking for a problem [IMO]

13. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    I had a computer built with an Asus motherboard and it died on me less than a week. I sent it back to the person that built it and changed the motherboard and now it is working fine.

14. Blakes7

Blakes7 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I ordered another hard drive which I should receive [email protected] on ebay brand new. I'm going to try that as the tech support still hasn't gotten back to me.

15. Blakes7

Blakes7 Thread Starter

Unbelievable!!! I thought that the problem with the mouse was motherbaird or windows 10 caused. I tired another mouse and was going to try a BIOS flash, but then I couldn't enter the BIOS, and a message said something about a usb problem, and the computer would shut down in 15 seconds.I talked to a tech at a computer store near me, and he told me that this board doesn't operate with a bad usb device. I bought a new mouse, and voila, problem solved. I never heard of anything like this before. Thanks to all.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230728

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice