1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by willwalk, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. willwalk

willwalk Thread Starter

I have been asked to 'sort out' a friend's pc, upon inspection i have determined that the mobo is shot. The CPU is a P3 500, can anyone recommend somewhere that will deliver to the UK a board that will take this? As it's a bit old I don't know if current mobo's are suitable.

Thanx

2. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

the money you would spend on a new board for that processor will get you a better board and processor

3. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Agreed!

SEC PIII 500s and 550s have sort of a reputation for going through motherboards,since they are basically a hotter version of a PII with little additional developement.(Intel didn't get their shite together until they reverted back to the 370 chipset)
    The availability of boards for those processors is quickly becoming very lean,even for reconditioned ones.So,finding one might be an issue,and shipping could make it not worth the effort.

I recently had a client that had been dealing with this same issue for a long time.Her 550 had gone thru 3 boards before she asked me for advice.I set her up with an ASUS board with good options for upgrading,a 1.3 Duron,and a 256 stick of DDR.The combo came assembled and tested for about $150 (US).She was absolutely thrilled with the results...
    If your client would consider the upgrade,I'm sure you will all be much happier in the end.

Oh,this is where I got her combo:
    http://direct.mwave.com/mwave/index.hmx?

Best regards,
    GwizJoe

4. RSM123

RSM123

5. zeddy

zeddy

I agree with the posters that it is time to get a new mobo and processor. The only other option is a second hand mobo and the inherent risks that poses.

If you want to pursue a mobo then look on ebay

ebay as one example.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165626

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice