motherboard

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

willwalk

I have been asked to 'sort out' a friend's pc, upon inspection i have determined that the mobo is shot. The CPU is a P3 500, can anyone recommend somewhere that will deliver to the UK a board that will take this? As it's a bit old I don't know if current mobo's are suitable.

Thanx

the money you would spend on a new board for that processor will get you a better board and processor

Agreed!

SEC PIII 500s and 550s have sort of a reputation for going through motherboards,since they are basically a hotter version of a PII with little additional developement.(Intel didn't get their shite together until they reverted back to the 370 chipset)
The availability of boards for those processors is quickly becoming very lean,even for reconditioned ones.So,finding one might be an issue,and shipping could make it not worth the effort.

I recently had a client that had been dealing with this same issue for a long time.Her 550 had gone thru 3 boards before she asked me for advice.I set her up with an ASUS board with good options for upgrading,a 1.3 Duron,and a 256 stick of DDR.The combo came assembled and tested for about $150 (US).She was absolutely thrilled with the results...
If your client would consider the upgrade,I'm sure you will all be much happier in the end.

Oh,this is where I got her combo:
http://direct.mwave.com/mwave/index.hmx?

Best regards,
GwizJoe

I agree with the posters that it is time to get a new mobo and processor. The only other option is a second hand mobo and the inherent risks that poses.

If you want to pursue a mobo then look on ebay

ebay as one example.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online