Motherboard

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Paulyo90

Are you able to upgrade JUST the motherboard on a desktop. (say go from pentium 2 to pentium 4?) without having to upgrade anything else? And please don't give me just a yes or no answer.....

You could but it would be for a specific purpose like adding a feature that you lack but you don't really need more processor power.

However, MB development follows processor development so new MB is usually built to serve a new cpu and the full benefit of the board is only available to the matching CPU.

D

crjdriver

If you upgrade the mb from a P2 type board to a P4 type, you will also have to upgrade the cpu and ram. In most cases you will need a new power supply since any power supply that came with a P2 will not have the extra 4pin 12V connector for the board.

So in a word NO.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
And you'll undoubtedly have to re-install Windows in the process.

Paulyo90

crjdriver said:
If you upgrade the mb from a P2 type board to a P4 type, you will also have to upgrade the cpu and ram. In most cases you will need a new power supply since any power supply that came with a P2 will not have the extra 4pin 12V connector for the board.

So in a word NO.
Why would i have to upgrade the ram????

Most p-2 boards were using EDO Ram. Then with P-3 went to PC 100 and 133 SDRAM. With p-4 along came RDRAM and DDR and DDR2 Ram. All these memorys are made to different specs and different speeds. The Newer p-4 boards use the newer DDR and DDR2 memory.

Paulyo90 said:
Any idea on how much that would cost?????
a lot, I'm a AMD person so I'm not as familar with specing out intel stuff, but lets see, a mobo , $75 to $200, cpu $100 to $1000, 512mb of ram $50 to $100, something like that in depends on what level of P4 you want, it covers quite a bit of ground, if you stay with stuff from 2 years ago, you can probably do it for $300ish, plus a psu to match new hw.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online