1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by redcash, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. redcash

redcash Thread Starter

I already have my system up and running, but I want to change the motherboar and CPU, or at least the CPU. How exactly do I do that and will I need to replace windows?

2. zadey

zadey

Changing the CPU would be OK. But changing the Mobo you would at least have to do a repair of XP, usually a clean install is needed.

3. redcash

redcash Thread Starter

would I have to go buy a new copy of Windows or just reformat?

4. euinka

euinka

If you're changing the CPU, then you'll need to make sure that you get one that is compatible with your current motherboard.

EDIT: If you have your Windows serial number, you'll be fine with a format and reinstall.

5. redcash

redcash Thread Starter

The hard drive, motherboard, and CPU came from an emachine. I do not have the serial number, but I use PC angel to reformat and it is fine usually.

6. euinka

euinka

Then there should be no problems! :)
    Like I said before, get one that is compatible.

7. redcash

redcash Thread Starter

Am I looking for one that is just the same pin size or something else?

8. VAComputerSvcs

VAComputerSvcs

The CPU must match the number of pins on a motherboard. So ultimately, the motherboard must be compatible with your CPU.

What motherboard do you have?

9. redcash

redcash Thread Starter

Fic K8m-800, its a 754 config.

10. replay

replay

u don't have to reinstall windows when changing a processor.............looks like u have a socket 754 amd.......... here it states "amd clawhammer up to 3600" http://www.fic.com.tw/product/motherboard/amd/k8m-800m.aspx
    is that a emachine u have? if so call the emachine tech support and ask what is the fastest cpu you can use

11. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If you are using the OEM Version of Windows XP that came with an Emachines computer and you change the Motherboard, Yes you will have to buy a new copy of windows. In accordance with the EULA for an OEM installation of windows changing the major components creates a new computer therefor your OEM License is no longer valid and a new copy of windows is required.

12. telegramsam

telegramsam

Not much left out there for Socket 754.

13. redcash

redcash Thread Starter

The motherboard and CPU were taken from a emachine. Can the processor at least be changed?

14. telegramsam

telegramsam

Sure--it can be changed. The questions are: Can you find one that's a significant upgrade, thus making it worth the expense, and what is in the machine now? Your limit is a 3600+ Clawhammer, so if you had something along the lines of a 3400+. then you're just wasting money if the processor you have works well already.

Look at the processor and get the part number off of it. Google the exact part number and see what you have in there now. There is still some 754 stuff out there, but don't wait very long, it's drying up in a hurry. That's two socket releases old.

15. replay

replay

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543626

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice