Motherboards

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

PVD2003

I have a pc that i bought in 99 p3 500 with slots for sd ram (PC100) my Q is, i want to get another motherboard that will accept a bigger processor but i still want to retain my 512m SD RAM and graphics card.. my current motherboard is a chaintech.

I recently built a pc with a MSI KM2M Combo-L mobo.

It has slots for sd and ddr ram and will take an Athlon XP 2800.

It has onboard Video, Sound and Lan, 3 pci slots, and an agp slot, 4 onboard usb and with the correct case another two usb and audio onboard.

It runs really great and cost me (in the uk) £42.00

There is a us based one as well

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/home/index.html?_LOC=US

Have a look under motherboards socket A you might find something else as well.

Cheers

Gus

MysticEyes

Banned
Originally posted by PVD2003:
I have a pc that i bought in 99 p3 500 with slots for sd ram (PC100) my Q is, i want to get another motherboard that will accept a bigger processor but i still want to retain my 512m SD RAM and graphics card.. my current motherboard is a chaintech.
You will not accomplish much if you bottleneck your new rig with PC100 SDRam. I would wait till you could afford DDR.

Triple6

Rob
An ECS board is fairly low-end. Even some of these boards can only use PC133 RAM. If not its usually dependent on the CPU, so you'd be really limiting yourself.

I have to agree with MysticEyes. Get some DDR. Here's some from $73 and up. - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...e=0&propertycode=&propertycodevalue=4163,2993 The ram has be matched to your new CPU or better.

Whats your video card? This you'll probably be able to re-use.

Originally posted by PVD2003:
I'll be blunt and honest...

A new board will require a NEW CPU, and to get the performance advantage of the CPU, you need memory that is a lot faster than good-ole PC-100. Memory is cheap... And considering the age of your machine, it is likely that your case is not up to PAR with todays hardware needs (cooling systems). These have been improve greatly in the past 2 years.

Sell your own computer to someone and build a new one in a new case with proper cooling. Memory is cheap, 512mb is about $75~80.

Recommendations for QUALITY and Price (I do NOT recommend $30 PC cases with $15 PSUs installed, nor $40 motherboards - the hours and days spent "trouble shooting" and replacement is not worth it).

case : www.in-win.com - 523 series case (top left - comes in black or white) http://www.in-win.com.tw/home/engli...lass=Mid Tower&pre_type=J-Series&pre_style=1#

Its about $60 with a good 300watt PSU. Excellent cooling and easy to work on (far easier than most $35 cases) I usually buy $100 cases without power supplies.

Motherboard: MSI or ASUS or Gigabyte, The Nforce2 is most powerful with great on-board audio (if youre gaming)... otherwise save some money on a $80 board with the KT400/600 chipset.

CPU: Retail version of the AMD 2500 (includes cooler fan, that is well made and very low-noise). About $80, high speed with very low cost.

RAM : 512mb of 333mhz DDR RAM (maybe $5 more for DDR 400mhz).

Transfer your drives and video card over. Todays boards have onboard Audio and Networking.

PVD2003

thanks guys,
the only reason i wanted to keep my RAM is cause i only just bought it. its not cutting through my apps like i thought it would so i realise its prob the rest of my machine and setup. a new machine is what is needed then.

If your going to spend the cash, and want to keep updated for the future. Go with getting a new case like Compilerxp recommends and the Mobos he stated are an excellent choice. I might even go higher end with the processor and if your in to gamming (I will get in trouble here) I would spend the extra on a P4 2.6 or above instead of AMD. I am partial to Rambus Ram. This could be costly though. SO, Compilerxp choice would be better if you wanted to save about a couple of hundred.

??? AMD 2500 plays game as fast as a P4 2.6ghz... if not faster when using onboard audio on both boards(Nforce2 vs Intel).

People with AMD CPUs get 100~500fps as well... Some games do prefer intel over AMD - just as some games work better with ATI over Nvidia (or Nividia vs Nvidia).

The *ONLY* race Intel P4 wins is at Video and Audio encoding (making video and audio files - "not" playing them) and some 3D Rendering program - because the P4 was designed for doing 1 job very fast - as apposed to many jobs very well. Hence, the AMD at 800Mhz *lower* is able to do the same job for games and work.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online