Motherboards

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

trumpetman51

I would like to build my own PC. I have decided to go with an AMD XP 2500+ CPU and I plan on using 512mb of DDR Ram.

Where I am having trouble is in selecting a motherboard. I would like a MB with a chipset that supports Dual Channel Memory. Of course, it must support FSB of at least 333MHz as that is the speed of the CPU I have selected. I have also been looking for a MB that includes IDE 133 AND SATA as well so as to be able to support as many IDE devices as possible. The other thing I have been kind of holding out for is onboard Firewire.

My "question" is, there are SO MANY different MBs out there that I don't know where to begin AND how important do you think onboard Firewire is and also onboard SATA/RAID??

Can someone PLEASE point me in SOME direction???

Oh, by the way, I don't want to spend more than $100.

Thanks all,

Trumpetman51

I agree the asus A7N8X series is the way to go (EXCEPT the -x model which is not dual channel) The difference is in the options you get in terms of raid, wi-fi etc. (its getting to be as bad as buying a car with all the different options) For pricing you might look at newegg.com.

trumpetman51

OK, now I know about the Cadillac Boards but I am more of a Chevy, Olds or Pontiac man myself.

Which of the latest features should I consider the most beneficial to have and which should I consider "Great, but not gonna make or break the Board"???

For instance, I think that the Dual-Channel Memory Controller sounds pretty important and worth budgeting for but what about things like Gigabyte Lan, SATA, RAID and Firewire ports???

I will be running 2 HDs, a DVD Burner and a CD Burnerfor sure but I might want to forgo the CD burner in favor of a DVD drive.

I probably won't be creating my own movies or doing a lot of digital video editing. But I do want to be able to download and burn both video and music at good speed and with nice results.

I want to feel like I can "play" with the other guys on the neighborhood Playground.

With the exception of gigabyte lan all other "bells and whistles" are offered by Abit N7S ver 2.0. You have support for 200 Mhz, SATA, onboard audio and 10/100 Lan.. Been using it with 2 different configurations and i can only say that it's worth the money ( afaik it's cheaper then Asus A7N Deluxe ) . For around 88 bucks can't go wrong
As a personal note. giga lan is great only if you tranfer files between machines ( as in 100 megs + ) and don't feel like waiting 3 min on a 100 megs LAN. It doesn't help a bit with the net connection... Well in case you are hooked up to an OC 3, OC 45 ..:D.
Dual channel memory feature is important and should be kept in mind. The SATA is another feature that would help with video editing ( if u are into that kinda stuff ). But for a better video editing session a RAID array is the way to go .. Since so far nothing beats a RAID ( performance wise ).
On board audio is pretty much the same ( since all the boards mentioned here use the Nvidia 2 chipset )
Firewire port again is great to have if you do own a digital cam . All ( well most of ) todays digital camcorders came with firewire output which let u grab the video right from the camera. Again if video editing is your thing look for a board with firewire ports.
And as a side note i do use the Asus in a game rig so i can tell the difference ;)
HTH

MSI KT6 Delta.

Supports FSB 400
DDR 400 RAM
AGP 8x
GB LAN
5.1 Audio
USB 2.0
Firewire
and SATA

The price depends on where you buy it.

ASUS all the way man. I'd look at the A7N8X-E Deluxe it's $118 but worth every penny. Or get the A7N8X-X, I got that and I am very pleased with it so far, doesn't have the DUAL-Channel though.

New WiFi A7N8X-E Deluxe http://www.nforcershq.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1167
Posted on Wednesday, December 10 @ GMT Standard Time by nForcer

ASUS has enhanced its popular A7N8X line with the addition of the WiFi enabled A7N8X-E Deluxe (nForce2 Ultra 400 + MCP-T). Already in the retail channel, these can be picked up for around the same price as the regular Deluxe version. DealTime has them listed at several stores, lowest price right now is $117:

The A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard improves on the popular A7N8X Deluxe by adding Gigabit LAN and the exclusive ASUS Wi-Fi slot for easy wireless LAN setup. Of course, innovative features such as AGPPro/8x, Dolby® digital 6-channel audio, onboard IEEE 1394, Serial ATA, dual-channel DDR 400 and a dual LAN design are still included in this latest board.

Awesome!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online