Motherboards

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

anchor100

Hello, and I self-built my last PC minus the motherboard. Have little education on what motherboard's are the best for what I build.
I can install or upgrade any other part of my PC, but don't know for my particular motherboard if I am upgrading or building correctly.

Here's what I will be building. I use a lot of graphics and games. So I get a good graphics board, good video and sound cards, etc..I usually get a 40 or 80gb Hardrive (using seagate, just because I find them stable)

If anyone could recommend a good motherboard for a self-build Iwould be most grateful. Thanks Walter, email - [email protected]

First, you want to ask yourself what processor you want: That will lead you to a good motherboard...

Do you want to go AMD Athlon XP or 64, or do you want to go Intel Pentium 4 or Celeron?

First you need to decide which CPU you want to use.

Then decide the chipset you want on the motherboard. The chipset controls just about everything on and connected to the motherboard and how they interact so you want to get the latest and greatest, if possible.

AMD XP CPUs: NForce2 Ultra 400 or VIA KT880
AMD 64 CPUs: NForce3 or KT800
Pentium 4s: Intel 875 or 775?? (Not too familiar with pentium chipsets)

Then you need to consider other features and if you want/need them:
Single or Dual channel memory
onboard audio
onboard video
onboard LAN
how many IDE connectors
how many SATA connectors
IDE RAID or SATA RAID
how many USB 2.0 connectors
how many Firewire
how many PCI slots
8x AGP or PCI Express(on new Pentium MBs)
EZ BIOS recovery
etc.

Yep, it's a lot to take in..But its oh so much fun. :) The more options the better for future upgrades.

Read lots of motherboard reviews to get a feel for it. www.tomshardware.com is a good place to start.

Best brands are Asus & Abit; with MSI, DFI, Gigabyte, Epox, Iwill a close second.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online