Motherboards...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
Personally, I like Asus boards. Others will probably suggest Gigabyte (I'm just biased because I've never used a Gigabyte. But I'm planning on trying one on my next pc).

Ask yourself 2 questions.

1) Do I really want a MB with an integrated graphics card to "try" and play games on?

and

2) Why am I buying from TigerDirect when NewEgg has the same board for cheaper?

My recommendations would be:
1. Get a board that doesn't have a video card in it unless you don't plan on buying a video card (And even then not planning to run any current games)
2. Don't pay extra for a SLI or Crossfire board (unless you plan to run SLI/Crossfire from the start, because odds are you will never use it and it is much more expensive)

I also prefer Intel over AMD, but that is really personal preference. If you decide to go Intel then it is recommended that you use an Intel chipset, however I have had great success with a nVidia 750i chipset (ASUS P5N-D) after a BIOS flash (With a built in flash utility and a failsafe so that you won't ever be able to ruin your BIOS... very helpful and fool proof).

Hope that helps.

crjdriver

My recommendations would be:
(With a built in flash utility and a failsafe so that you won't ever be able to ruin your BIOS... very helpful and fool proof).

Hope that helps.
I am just wondering if you have ever used the asus crash free bios? FWIW I have had to attempt bios recoveries 3 times with asus boards and it only worked once. Not what I would call failsafe.

crjdriver

For the original poster, I am not a real asus fan. The asus of today is NOT the asus of 8-10yrs ago when they made boards that were the standard of the industry.

For a budget build, biostar makes fine boards. For a high end board, the gigabyte or foxconn amd 790 chipset boards are fine [However foxconn customer service is non-existent] Foxconn builds fine high end boards however do not ever expect any tech support from them.

I am just wondering if you have ever used the asus crash free bios? FWIW I have had to attempt bios recoveries 3 times with asus boards and it only worked once. Not what I would call failsafe.
Even less fool proof if even an experienced builder/repairer/whatever like you can't accomplish the recovery. :rolleyes:

Just to give my opinion about the board you linked, it is a fine board, but there are better ones for the money, higher quality for example. Also DDR3 is pretty useless for its current high price, get this board instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128387
The reason not to spend extra on DDR3 is that you won't anyways keep up with a today's motherboard in the future far enough for DDR3 to be needed. That meaning, the CPUs of that time will not work on it.

Cjkern1

Thanks a lot for the responses. I stumbled onto this this morning... what do we think? AMD Phenom II 2.8GHz, retail -- $134 shipped (Got a great instant rebate via a couple of websites plus a nice coupon code I'm tacking on)

Depends highly on if it's a quad-core or triple-core. You can get a triple-core 2.8 GHz PII for 136 $ anytime, and a quad for 164... If it's a quad, then go get it, it's a good deal.

It worked for me.

Cjkern1

So I went ahead and bought the above processor that I mentioned. I like the gigabyte board that BG-0 mentioned... would it pair well with the processor? Thanks in advance.

I see no reason why it wouldn't. The Phenom II 920 is supported by version 1 BIOS, and other people seem to get good overclock potential out of the board...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online