1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MOTO G - Can't Transfer Files or Install Software

Discussion in 'Android Mobile Devices' started by Unlucky_Pete, Jan 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Unlucky_Pete

Unlucky_Pete Thread Starter

I recently purchased a Motorola Moto G and have been trying for the past few days to transfer some pictures from my phone to my home computer (Windows XP SP3). The problem seems to be that my computer can't install the necessary software to do this.

I plugged my phone into my computer's USB port and a pop-up appears in my Task Tray titled "Found New Hardware" and reads "XT1032." Shortly afterwards the "Found New Hardware Wizard" appears on screen asking if I will allow it to connect to Windows Update to search for Software. I clicked "Next" to begin searching for software and automatically install it.

After searching for software for XT1032 for awhile, the Wizard pops up saying "Cannot Install this Hardware." The message reads, "The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software." Once I close this window, the Task Tray icon has a small pop-up saying, "A problem occurred during hardware installation. Your new hardware might not work properly."

I went to Motorola's website and downloaded the Motorola Device Manager (MDM), since I assumed it was an issue with my computer not having the right USB Driver. After installing the MDM a window appears telling me that the next time I connect my phone to the computer with the USB port, I will be able to drag files from my phone to my computer.

Unfortunately, this didn't work. I then went to the Microsoft website and downloaded the Media Transfer Porting Kit (mtppk12.exe), and that didn't help either. Every single time I plug in my phone I keep getting the "Found New Hardware Wizard." If I open MDM with the Start menu, it searches for Device Software Updates for a couple of minutes before saying "There are no updates for your device at this time. Current Version: N/A."

I'm at my wits end! If anyone knows how to solve this problem, please help!

Thank you,

Unlucky_Pete

2. brianljnr

brianljnr

Hi,
    I have a MOTO G but I have also have a Windows 7 pc which I connect my phone to. I was thinking that maybe it was something to do with Windows XP why you can't transfer photos to your PC.

Have you tried to send/receive photos etc through Bluetooth as I have done that before with another phone that I have, if your PC hasn't got Bluetooth built in you can get a cheap dongle in the likes of Poundland.

Hope you get it sorted
    Brianljnr

3. trogdo

trogdo

Moto G owner here. It simply doesn't work as a storage device in Windows, it was designed like that. The easiest way to move files between it and other devices is through a USB flash drive connected to the phone's USB port. An adapter or a flash drive with a micro USB connector are both easily found and reasonably priced.

4. vembutech

vembutech Banned

Can try with different cable check whether it helps you to access the data.

5. trogdo

trogdo

Different cable won't work, but a regular USB memory stick will. I use an adapter I picked up for £1 on eBay, see attached pic.

Attached Files:

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141449

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice