1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Moto G5S Plus and maps freezing

Discussion in 'Android Mobile Devices' started by tonyacardo, Nov 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonyacardo

tonyacardo Thread Starter

About 2 days ago I noticed the Google Maps was "acting up" or not doing exactly what it was supposed to. I put it down to bad internet connection because it self corrected. Friday night I was in Albany OR and my Google Maps would not work for over an hour. I also tried Co-Pilot, the paid version, with downloaded maps (so no internet needed) and it was frozen up too.

What do you think could be causing this?

While the maps were not working I naviagated to MapQuest, it showed me a map but that map was also frozen.
    Frozen means map stays the same while I am driving around, just for clarity.

I use Republic Wireless so it can switch from a local places WiFi to cell data at any moment as you drive through a city full of open WiFi networks. That can create problems with internet dependent maps, but not with Co-Pilot, it has all the maps in local storage. And I was able to use Chrome to navigate to MapQuest but once it got the map up on the screen, it froze up too.

Does the 600 series processor have any problems with maps that are known?

I restarted my G5S Plus 3 times and that did not help.

I drive for a living, so I am always in places that are new and unknown to me, I need a map (maybe a phone) that I can rely on.

i think it is the Moto G5S Plus has some sort of screwy "on-the-cheap" Android 8 in it. The hardware specs on the G5S Plus are fine for me.
    600 series processor
    5.5" screen
    4 GB RAM

It does lack in on-board storage, topping off at about 200 GB. I have the 64 GB internal and bought the SD card for 128 GB but that is as far as you can go.

Anyway, it has the screen size, the processing power, and the RAM to be a good phone, I just think Motorolas got some crummy software.
    Is there something I can do to fix the situation?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219572

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice