1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Moto G5s Plus w/Android 8.1.0

Discussion in 'Android Mobile Devices' started by tonyacardo, Oct 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tonyacardo

tonyacardo Thread Starter

I do not like the split screen on my phone. I like the old way of doing things. Is there a way to turn the split screen off?
    (I assume the little icon for open apps is part of the split screen, so hopefully it will go away when I go back to seeing one app at a time, if not I need to know how to get rid of the tine icon mode too)

Thanks

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

To exit split screen, simply swipe the center black bar all the way up or down.

plodr likes this.
  3. tonyacardo

Thanks for helping.

That works pretty well.

I was hoping for a permanent solution. Is there a way to disable it completely, so it cannot happen by accident.

I think the thing that bothers me most is Google Maps, sometimes when I am driving the phone will get jostled in its holder and the map will shrink to an icon size.
    In Oregon, in a holder attached to the dash, it is legal to touch your phone but it is still a pain and in traffic it can be quite dangerous. Out of dash, you can only use one swipe or its a violation.

It just seems that I am always adjusting the Google Maps icon so that it will take up the whole screen. If I use bluetooth to answer a call, it shrinks up and I have to adjust it.

Maybe the question I should have asked was "How do I stop Google Maps from becoming a tiny icon"

When I say "Thanks" but then launch into additional problems it makes me sound a little ungrateful. I hope you don't take it that way. I am very appreciative that you helped.
    Edit:
    and hope that you will also tell me how to stop the Google Map icon problem.

(one of the biggest problems with boards is we cannot read each others body language, so we can't tell when someone is appreciative, like me, but wishes he would have asked the right question)

4. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

You're welcome. To disable,
    1. From a Home screen, tap Apps [​IMG] (located in the lower-right).
    2. Tap Settings.
    3. Tap Multi window.
    4. Tap the Multi window switch (located in the upper-right) to enable [​IMG] or disable [​IMG].

5. tonyacardo

OK, I don't see that. I get to settings and there is no Multi Window. I then searched setting for multi and for window and nothing popped up (except for something about multi language keyboard).
    Here are my specs:
    Model G5S Plus
    Android 8.1.0
    Android Security Patch Level - August 1, 2018
    Build OPS28.65-36
    Kernal Version please see pic in URL
    https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=QXJ4SGZkcGJkQWxDZE5PXzNfMzhqR05lb3pBZzBR

6. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Sorry, don't seem to have anything around here running 8.1.0. I'll keep my eyes peeled though.

7. tonyacardo

yeah, I searched all over Google looking for how to do it and could not find anything. it looks like I should have gotten a Samsung, I am told there split windows is an app that can be removed.

Thanks for your help

8. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I found this for your model
    I'm not sure if it applies because I don't own a Moto G5s.

9. tonyacardo

For me it was in Settings > Special App Access. I turned it off.
    Thank you. This might help

I navigate from the dash holder while I am driving. And I have to go to a lot of different work sites. So anything that uncomplicates or makes that easier increases my ability to safely navigate our roads.

I also noticed there was a setting called something like always on top, I may try that too.

Thanks to everyone who helped out. If I discover anything useful I will post it in this thread.

10. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

You finally found it, excellent news!

Thanks for sharing the solution. Hopefully it'll help someone in a similar situation.

11. tonyacardo

Thanks to plodr, I found that switch while looking for the solution she told me about. I am going to try both and see which one makes things easier/better/safer.

12. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218357

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice