1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motorcycle Helmets--Picking One

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by GoneForNow, Jul 16, 2006.

Advertisement
  1. GoneForNow

GoneForNow Thread Starter

Okay.....Stoner, Moby, Banditflyer and anyone else here is the problem:

After wearing my helmet for more then two hours I start to develop pressure spots in the forehead and in the back of my head. After about three hours I start a severe headache coming from the same places. So I went to the place I purchased my motorcycle and spoke with a salesperson who measured my head and stated that I have an oval as opposed to a round shaped head. He suggested an Arai helmet, the Profile model. I tried one on and I went down in size (XL to L) and frankly it felt better but of course proof is in the 200 mile ride. At $475.00 however, even a wealthy:)rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) guy ,like me has second thoughts.
    I did some research and apparently few manufactures make helmets of different shapes. The two I've looked at are the Arai and the Shoei, see here:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/arai-profile/

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/shoei/x-eleven/

So the point is have any of you gentlemen (term used loosely) or ladies had any experience with these helmets and/or do you have any other constructive recommendations to offer?

2. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

GB: See....even your head shape is unique! (y) :D ;)

3. Mulderator

Mulderator

That's the same thing moonmist said to Mulder! :eek:

4. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

:p :p Leave it to you to find an opening for that one! :D Just be sure you wear the right size helmet...we wouldn't want you to get pressure spots and then a headache! :p :D

Sorry for the hijack GB! ;) :D Carry on! :)

5. BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

What I've heard about Shoei is that they have a two-piece liner that actually molds to fit your head after some time. I've read and heard that Shoei's are both very quiet and very comfortable. I remember trying them on and the only ones I really liked were the RF 900 and RF 1000.

I hate earplugs. That's why I considered them. Shoei's are supposed to be the quietest helmet available, or at least the RF900 was. I haven't seen much stuff about the X11 that I found relevant to me, and the fit seemed somehow not as good as an RF 900 or RF 1000.

As far as the Arai, I never got to try one on that actually fit. The stores where I tried them on always had one that was either the wrong head shape(I think mine is actually some type of dodecahedron :confused: :p ) or the wrong size.

Also, an article in Motorcyclist Magazine made me question the value of an expensive helmet. The gist of it is that Snell and the other standards organizations(other than the US DOT) wanted lining that transmits too much force to the brain in the event of a collision, so helmets that do not meet any standards other than the DOT are actually safest for the brain. They picked a couple of very cheap helmets and one expensive one(I don't recall the brand, but it was of the type favored by guys who ride touring bikes, not racers. I think it was a German brand) for their choice for best helmet.

Trying to find a link to that article now ...

6. BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

7. Stoner

Stoner Banned

I've had both Shoei and Ari.
    Both seem to be good products to me.
    Currently wear a Shoei.
    No problems with this one.

I did have an Ari full face some time ago that was just a tad snug after an hour or so.
    There often is a thin layer of foam , about 1/16 inch thich or so, that is glued in as a comfort liner, I removed that and it was enough to relieve my pressure points. Might check that angle out before you buy new.

Bell and Simpson used to make good helmets. AVG is another brand I used to hear good things about.Might check them out too.

edit: diregard as Bandit has posted better information ....but I still wouldn't buy a $10 helmet ;)
    What ever you get, Snell + DOT certified helmets are considered the best, but usually carry the higher price tags......worth the money.....as I told a friend some time a go that was bragging on a $10 helmet he bought at the flea market, you put a $10 helmet on a $10 head ;)

8. BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

Having glanced over those articles and re-read your post, I don't think I have much constructive to say ...

Take the helmet that doesn't fit back for a refund(if possible) and take the Arai for the same 200 mile ride ???

9. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Thanks for the link, Bandit.
    Gives me something to think about on my next helmet purchase.

10. moonmist

moonmist

If that wasnt so funny. :D .............it would be sick :rolleyes:

11. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Just don't buy the Roethlisberger. :eek: :(

12. valis

valis Moderator

think they discontinued that model anyhow.....too much ego, not enough protection. ;)

13. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I hope so. Ben scared the hell out of me with that "invincible" move.

14. BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

I've seen a sig something to the effect of. "Ever notice that they don't make helmets out of bone - there's a reason."

Also, there was a famous football player last year who wadded up a perfectly good GSX-R 750 while waiting for a famous stunting group called the Star Boyz to show up and teach him how to ride wheelies.

The NFL is becoming famous for it's squids. :D

15. BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

You're still talking about the football player, right? Why would that scare you? Do you know the guy?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!