1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motors? Where to look?

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by StumpedTechy, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy Thread Starter

I am looking for a small compact motor (nothing bigger than say a baseball holder cube) that can simply be plugged into the wall and that I can also get some items to connect to the spindle of motor as well this has to be variable speed. I just don't know where to look that has a comprehnsive list of parts and motor types and things you can connect to the motor.

Basic requirements are -

small
    able to be directly plugged into the wall no transformers or battery packs.
    enough power to be able to move some small pieces of wood.
    variable speed
    also sell attachments that connect to the spindle so I can make a connection to gears for my project.

I have found places that just sell motors, that sell motors only with transformers, that sell motors but only battery pack.

I can't find the one spot that sells motors and the connector components.

Something like this -

http://www.bgmicro.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=9493

but variable speed and more heavy duty.

Any ideas?

2. lexmarks567

lexmarks567

3. SouthParkXP101

SouthParkXP101 Banned

ive a 110 air compressor motor........ i dotn think its varible speeds free to good home , you pay for shipping

4. paisanol69

paisanol69

5. Knotbored

Knotbored

sounds like you need a portable drill with the handle sawed off.

6. StumpedTechy

Yeah I thought about the drill but then I also noted that I can't find good gears, whatever to attach to it.

The fourth post is DC and I would rather have AC and direct to a wall outlet, the third (compressor motor) I think I still have the same problem a motor but no gears and things to attach to it. and the second not only are they a bit on the large side I didn't see anything about attachments such as gears and whatnot.

ANy other ideas - I am stopping by radio shack and a few other places today still searching.

7. Knotbored

Knotbored

I don't know what type gears you need, but have you considered pulleys and v-belts for whatever mechanism you are making?
    Or hydraulics (power steering pump hooked to an electric motor)?

You have us curious, what is this tool supposed to acomplish?

8. Knotbored

Knotbored

Just had a thought-check out used vacuum cleaner motors.

9. lexmarks567

lexmarks567

my guess is you would need to by the motor then make the gears youself of buy everything seperate le or go to a machine shop and have some made those motors I showed should do the job for you they hasve the power all you have to do is rig up it power cord so it can be plugged into the wall but it will have instant on and off so be carfull. I have done it before with those motors and have the scar to prove it

10. StumpedTechy

Well I broke down and went battery powered instead of AC. I actually bought a kids toy and ripped it all apart and then got a little more powerful of a motor. I don't know if this will work for what I want but I'll give it a go.

Basically this is an automated woodworking project. I am housing the motor inside a small house replica then running some gears to have different things move E.G. a windmill that turns, a moving dog, a working light. and a few other basic functions.

My fear is the heaviness of the wood these plastic gears will not work or worse yet will work but then will strip in a very short time. Where this is to be housed has a socket near it and I know who the people getting it won't like changing batteries.

Oh well thanks for the input guys.

11. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If you went DC, why not power it with a wall adapter and avoid the batteries?

12. lexmarks567

lexmarks567

I did not know you wanted that small. I figured you wanted a big motor that could be plugged into the wall hooked up to a gear box. I misread your post

13. hewee

hewee

14. johnraym

johnraym

15. hewee

hewee

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540527

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice