Mounting a PowerMac 8600/250 HD in an XP system...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

loserOlimbs

I once before asked if I could do this, and was told yes by using Macopener.
No such luck, I was able to get the drive detected through a PCI SCSI card, and XP saw both the card and the HD, I was given the option of formating the drive, but what I want to do is get the files off of the drive.

Are there any other programs out there that will let me do this, I would like to stay away from Macopener unless I can be gauranteed it will work, because my trial ran and I would like to not pay for anything until the problem is resolved.

Set up...

A SCSI HD from a PowerMac 8600/250, connected to a SCSI PCI card in a DELL Dimension 4700 running XP w/ SP2.
Drivers are all seeming to be great, the PCI card is from Acard, I don't remember the model number.

loserOlimbs

Thanks will do. I know most people don't try to mix their platforms, but I have a client who insisted it be done and I told her from a hardware standpoint it was possible, then I had someone say Macopener was all it took from a software standpoint.

Any other help appreciated.

Any one know what partition the PowerMac 8600/250 uses, should be running its original OS.

it uses Apples own format it's just called Macintosh, in the later models it moved up to Macintosh Extended, I think the 8600 is old enough not to be extended. Even if it was extended it can only be read by a Apple board.

loserOlimbs

Thanks again, this is just such a pain in my A##. I'm sure it can be done, I just have almost no experience doing anything besides development on Macs, and this has set me back.

To make things worse I don't have the time to sit around a play with the PC with the Mac drive in it.

jiml8

Mac uses the HFS filesystem. I just went a'googling for info on it and, to my great surprise, there is practically nothing current regarding development of windows tools to read/write HFS. There were some Linux tools but I didn't look closely at those.

I did find this, which is current, but it is also just about all I found:
http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive6/

....no means to mount a Mac hard drive on a PC system except perhaps by ethernet. Ok burn some cds mac and pc compatible or use Macopener or email files to yourself but i think it a fruitless exeercise to mount a Mac disk in a windows machine.(n) Sorry

loserOlimbs

jiml8, great!

Thats mediafour Campany's MacDrive6 did the trick.

Was able to get into the mac drive through XP and access the drive like it were NTFS. Thanks a trillion.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online