1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mounting an external hard drive in a desktop case help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SonoInc, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SonoInc

SonoInc Thread Starter

So I have 2 of these: http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Momen...nternal/dp/tech-data/B00194EQZG/ref=de_a_smtd

and one of this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822204018

I have 3 spots left in my case to mount HDDs. How can I do this? I have searched through Google with no luck and I'm basically a hardware noob. Or, probably the best option, would be to just mount the terabyte drive and access the other harddrives via USB in a very inexpensive way. (Bottom line is to access the seagate drives as inexpensively as possible, then to mount the fantom drive if possible)

Thanks for your time,
    Mike

2. Hughv

Hughv

Installing a drive is very simple. You apparently have identified the bays. so you need the mounting screws and the appropriate power and data cables and to know where they connect on the motherboard.
    What case and what motherboard are you using, or what make and model is the computer? What OS?
    It's not particularly clear why you want to do this.
    External cases are readily available at Tiger Direct and similar vendors:
    This one has proved to be reliable for me (Cheap cases fail quickly)
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2145406&sku=V13-3254

3. SonoInc

SonoInc Thread Starter

I would like to do this b/c I no longer need the external drive to be an external now that I have a desktop. Also those 2 seagates are from my laptop that crashed and I need to be able to access the data on them.

Here are system specs:
    Mobo: MSI P55M-SD40 (MS-7588)
    Case: NZXT Gamma Gaming Case
    PSU: 700 watt
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

4. Hughv

Hughv

External drives are typically used as backup or additional storage, and the need doesn't disappear just because you switch to a desktop. There's nothing to stop you from doing this, of course, but it strikes me as counter-productive to ruin a perfectly good external drive for this purpose.
    I didn't notice that these were 2.5" drives, but it would hardly be worth the effort to adapt these to a 3.5" bay. Just get 2.5" cases for them. This one has good reviews:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3743049&sku=ULT40243

5. SonoInc

SonoInc Thread Starter

I appreciate your advice and information, thanks! However, a few more questions:

Referring to the link you provided... will that case work on a laptop 2.5" drive? I don't know the connection type.

Also, let's say I would want to mount my TB external in my case. How would I do that?

I also have this external: http://www.amazon.com/Iomega-Prestige-Portable-External-34342/dp/B001DCELO0

Could I mount the laptop drives in that?

6. Hughv

Hughv

Yes. It's designed for a 2.5" drive. It's USB.
    To mount the external, you have to remove it from the case, and that could be problematic as some have proprietary connectors. I don't know about that one. You could also ruin the case in the process, as some are easier to remove than others. All in all, I don't recommend it.

7. SonoInc

SonoInc Thread Starter

Yeah I won't do it, considering all the things that could go wrong.

I just opened up the other external and couldn't seem to disconnect the HDD from the connector... any tips?

8. Hughv

Hughv

Which is the "other"?

9. SonoInc

SonoInc Thread Starter

10. Hughv

Hughv

Usually, they just pull l out. I haven't used that case, and Google didn't show anything with a quick search.
    Still, they put a drive in it, so you should be able to as well.

11. SonoInc

SonoInc Thread Starter

Aight thanks. Will be trying after classes today.

12. SonoInc

SonoInc Thread Starter

Ok, so I was able to get it connected, and I found out it is my OS drive. Which is the drive that I needed, but there is a problem:

The OS drive had a partition made by HP for recovery and I can only seem to access this partition and not the actual OS files. I also tried to boot from it, but my computer does not give me the option to do so.

How can I access those files?

Thanks

13. Hughv

Hughv

14. SonoInc

SonoInc Thread Starter

Well it doesn't say anything. I have it plugged in and I only see the Recovery partition in my computer, and not the other files located on the drive. I can view 10gbs out of 100gbs through my computer.

Am using Testdisk to scan the other partition lol

It is weird that my computer would not even recognize it. Unless it blew past me somehow.

Also, symantec thought an install file from testdisk was a trojan... is that right?

15. Hughv

Hughv

You have somehow lost a partition, and that's what Test Disk is good at.
    Fire it up and direct it at this disk and it should see the missing partition(Hint-it's not the one you're scanning).

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/951976

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice