Mounting Fails under 2.6

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Whiteskin

Its very odd. Mount seems to have stopped working under 2.6. In 2.4, mount would work, first try. Now, under two point six, i cannot mount, without starting mount, killing it, then mounting again. Very wierd. Anyone else experiance problems like this, or know how to fix it.

does this happen with different file system types, or just a certain one?

Whiteskin

Well, i rarely use any other fstypes. But it seems to be cdrom specific. Perhaps there is some damage, because i turned off dma with hdparm {
Code:
/sbin/hdparm -d0 /dev/hdc
} and that seems to have fixed it. I just wonder why i can mount under 2.4, and not under 2.6. Maybe 2.6 became more stringent with its dma requirements.

Do you have a CD on CD-ROM drive when you try to mount ?
It might be a silly question, but it happened to me yrs before.

with any kernel upgrade, comes new features, so yea it could be the dma problem, or even just a setting that was missed in the configuration before compile..

Whiteskin

Yeah... cdrom there :)

*shrug*... i dunno what it is, but hdparm sets nodma on hdc when i boot now, so i should be fine.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online