1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mouse and gamepad freeeeeeezzzzz

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Winter, Jan 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Winter

Winter Thread Starter

Hi it’s me again and I have another problem

When I am playing Quake3a I use my mouse and a gravis gamepad pro. Now this happened once or twice in the past week so I just thought it was a flook. But today it started to happen just after about 15 min of play. Sometimes the gamepad will just stop working and sometimes it will get stuck in one position. The mouse just freezes. The mouse is a Logitech trackball. Both of these devices are usb. Could this be and active X problem thingy? Or drivers?

And just incase here is my system specs.
    Win98se
    256ram
    Quantum atlas 9
    2940 uw
    SoundBlaster live value
    Diamond viper ultra 770
    and a usr ext pnp modem

I would truly appreciate any help with and thanks in advance.

2. brianF

brianF

The next quake3 patch is suppose to address joystick issues. This may also relate to your problem.

3. Winter

Winter Thread Starter

I dont think the pach will help it. I have tried bothe the 1.27 1.27h and the 1.27g and it just messed up my game totaly.

I hate to say this but I did another clean istall today. In fact I did 2. I am amberised to say that. But thats how I have had to learn everything so far. Anyhow I will not bor u with the detail of it. But the problem is still here. And I have the basic progys in. I spent all day installing. And I was online playing just a little bit ago and my gamepad and my mouse locked up. When I exited the game there was a pop up saying that "windoz has just found a usb device". It went through the proses of installing drivers for a usb device. And then when it was done I went to reboot and I hit the keys since I didnt have a mouse and when I hit the shut down button. Hit enter and nothing happend. Would it of been something I did in the install? Or could my usb hub be going bad? It keeps happening. I am getting realy frustrated.

As you can tell I havent installed Word yet. So please excuse the spelling. Yes, I am a hillbilly. Would anyone have a idea of what is going on here. I am at my wits end. Thanks

4. LarryCore

LarryCore

USB hub? Are you not plugging diretctly into the computer, but using a hub instead?

Try connecting right to the computer ports.

------------------
    Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech:
    LarryCore begs for money

5. Winter

Winter Thread Starter

Well, I have tried that allready. And since my mouse uses 50ma and the gamepad uses 100ma on the hub. When I derctly attach it to the usb on my system. My system will crash. I am assuming that the reason is that the power suply is not enuf. So I have to use the hub.

Last night it happend again. I was able to work my way to the win98 cd and use the tools/diagnose thing for the usb. When I hit enter my screen went black and I had to push the power button to incurectly shut down.

I am worried that its hardware.
    Thanks Larry for your reply!
    Let me know if you think of something ells

6. LarryCore

LarryCore

A USB hub takes MORE power than plugging directly into the computer. Adding a hub just makes things worse, not better.

So, lets forget the hub for now. If you plug in just one of the devices, say the mouse, will everything work ok?

------------------
    LarryCore begs for money

7. Winter

Winter Thread Starter

I have a HP printer hooked to the hub as well and it works fine. And if I remove the gamepad my mouse will work. I dont have the adapter for my mouse to hook it to the p2 port so I dont know if the gamepad will work without the mouse hooked up.
    And just to make sure I understand u currectly. My hub has 2 cords to it. One is the main line to the computer and the other is a power cord that plugs into a power outlet into the wall for its own power. Sorry if this is repititious. But if I am understanding u right. You are thinking that my hub just connects to the computer and draws its power from there?..

8. LarryCore

LarryCore

Yes, that was what I was thinking. So, you do have a powered hub.

Ok.

Well, how about if we try without the hub and without the printer? Just the pad and the mouse?

------------------
    LarryCore begs for money

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/35058

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice