1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mouse and KB lights dim after shutdown.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Soiled, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Soiled

Soiled Thread Starter

I just got this great new PC a few days back and the things runs beauty, however i noticed that the lights on my optical mouse and my Keyboard lights dim down after shutdown.

the PS fans run for a few min after shutdown to clear out any heat, but why do these lights not go out? (they stayed on all night)

2. rebelmusic

rebelmusic

Please be mor accurate. What mouse and keyboard do you have? i have a wireless medion mouse and keyboard and the lights stay on permanently because they have their own batteries.

3. Arcadion

Arcadion

The lights stay on because there is still a +5V current running inside your computer even when it's shut down. If you want them to go off, turn your computer off at the powersupply on the back (if it has a switch there) or unplug it from the wall.

4. john@help

[email protected] Banned

my xp does it to is normal and dont lisen to
    Arcadion because wth out the power supply working you can damig your new pc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i sugest to unhook the key board and mouse untll you use your computer

5. Arcadion

Arcadion

john... that is bull. If you switch the powersupply off it will simply stop your computer from turning on. It will not damage it. I fix these things for a living, ok?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Chances are it's just a charged capacitor, residual current, nothing to worry about. If you disconnect the machine from power, it will fade eventually, but it is not anything to worry about. Worry when the light won't come on at all.[​IMG]

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    [email protected], you really are not acting like you know what you are talking about yourself. And being rude and course in the process is not helping you any either. As a matter of act, you are wrong! Turning the power supply off at the back of the computer will not hurt it. If this were the case every new computer you buy will have been damaged by the time you purchase it. Please think before you make your statements.

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

In many modern PC's the USB power rail is not affected by powering down, only by turning off.

This is to accommodate USB "wake up" events, and is not really needed for most users.

Arcadion is absolutely correct.

9. Soiled

Soiled Thread Starter

thanx for the input.

and just to clear up, i dont have a wireless mouse its just your basic microsoft 2 button 1 scroll wheel optical, and an old IBM keyboard (so old the WASD keys are worn right off :) )

I was just curious cause my older PC shutdown with no additional lights, but its only the KB and mouse right now so it cant be that big of a power draw. I'll just 4get about.

peaceout!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327956

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice