1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mouse and keyboard lock up????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Murchad, Jan 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Murchad

Murchad Thread Starter

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

My mouse and keyboard lock up like every 20 seconds. and sometimes they lock up completly and don't come back.
    in between being locked up they run smoothly no jerky movment or anything. And when it locks up completly the stuff on the screen keeps going on as normal. eg. game keeps moving, movie keeps playing.

When they lock up temporarily everything I did with the mouse in the mean time happens right after I regain control.

The problem is not overheating.
    I updated my mouse drivers so that is not problem.
    I ran system monitor and the computer spiked to about 60% usage every time it happens.

I don't know is this is relivent but I tried to run scan disk and it restarted every time that happened.

I checked for viruses using McAfee and it found nothing:confused:

2. coderanger

coderanger

Do you have wireless, if so they might be out of batteries. When you say it is about every 20 seconds, is that fairly exact. If a problem show that kind of periodicy it is commonly an OS issue of some kind.

3. Murchad

Murchad Thread Starter

sorry it is more sporatic than that. I was just trying to show that is isn't jerky movement and not something that only happens every once in awhile. It is a logitech ps2 wheel mouse.

4. coderanger

coderanger

It could be a loose wire. A mouse cord will often start to break off right where it leaves the body of the mouse. Is there another mouse to try on the coumpter, or another computer to check the mouse/keyboard.

5. Murchad

Murchad Thread Starter

It is keyboard and mouse and I just checked again and the video does lock up some too. usually just the mouse and keyboard

6. coderanger

coderanger

you had mentioned upgrading to a new driver. Posibly it was defective, a common problem with new drivers. Try reverting to an earlier one. I apllogize I have not been of much help. Just trying to give some ideas.

7. Murchad

Murchad Thread Starter

I updated my driver after the problem...
    What I personally think it is... is bad RAM passes test at startup but I don't see any other reason for the way it acts other than an undetected virus.

Are you the only person who answers questions on this forum?

8. coderanger

coderanger

I dont know enough about RAM systems to help you if that is actualy the problem. I know that ECC is supposed to stop stuff like that, but I dont know how to check on it. As for answering questions, it sure beats doing my homework.

9. Mavrick88

Mavrick88

I think you have a software problem. There isn't much you can really do to stop it. What MIGHT work, and it's not guaranteed at all, is don't install, but just run Norton Utilities, or NU is on Norton Systemworks, and run Win Doctor on it. Hopefully it will not lock up the computer, it shouldn't, if it does you have serious software problems. It will detect software conflicts and then you can tell it to fix them. Now this could be the easiest way to fix it. Basically use the System Restore cds that came with the computer or format the hard drive and start from scratch again. Not only will this stop your software conflicts, but it's the ultimate way to free up anything you don't use or haven't used in a very long time and will get rid of all JUNK on your computer. BEFORE you do this though please realize that you will lose EVERYTHING on your computer that you installed after you bought it. Please back up anything before doing a system restore or a full format of your hard drive. What you are going through is surely a software problem. If for some reason it is a hardware problem you'll know after you reinstall everything becaue it will be doing the same things again. If that happens, it's time to buy a new hard drive because that's what would be causing it. Try out the easy way first by using Norton Utilities and if that doesn't work I would start from scratch and System Restore your computer! GOOD LUCK!

10. coderanger

coderanger

If the cursor is in a text box when it freezes, and you type someting while it is still frozen, will it just disappear or will it show up when the system returns to normal

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113661

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice