Mouse Automatically Scrolling

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

XMorpheus300

For the past few days now my mouse has automatically been scrolling sporadically when Im not trying to scroll anything (such as webpages, Word documents, etc). Its even doing it as Im typing this and my hand isnt on the mouse. And by sporadically I mean I dont know where its gonna go, up or down or up a little then down all the way then up again, etc. Its crazy. And, when I try to use the scroll wheel on my mouse, it wont work.

At first I thought it maybe it was a problem with my mouse's batteries, because I have a cordless mouse. So, I changed the batteries. It still kept doing it. Then I checked the cords and unplugged everything and plugged it all back in. Still doing it. The only two things I can think of to do next would be to uninstall and reinstall the mouse and see if that works, or go and buy a new mouse entirely. Both of which I dont want to do if I dont have to.

And, right now I dont have an updated virus scan program, though I hope to be getting a new one soon. I run my computer for spyware and such occasionally, and every now and again I use the Trend Micro or Panda Software free scan off of their site. I just haven’t used them since this started happening. (Stupid, I know, I should use them more often, they just take up a lot of time.)

So, basically I've got two questions:

The first is, does anyone think this is or could be a virus that is causing my mouse to act all crazy?

And the second, if it isn’t a virus or something, what could it be? Could it be that my mouse is just broken? (Though I haven’t had it for more than two years.)

Any answers would be appreciated.

~Andy

I have a similar problem. All of a sudden the scolling starts (either up or down or side to side) for no apparent reason. I'm pretty sure it's a conflict. I have a Belkin Nostromo game pad and I've found that if close that program the scolling stops. Both the game pad and mouse are USB HID compliant. You might check in your device manager to see what HID devices you have . Perhaps there is a conflict of some sort there.
Cheers

Hello. The scrolling was crazy on my computer as well. I did the following steps and it is gone. I hope this works out for everyone. This seems so weird to be happening to a lot of people just recently.
I have done this on Windows XP Home Edition.

1) Run the 'Adaware' program. (free program)
2) Run the 'Spybot Search & Destroy' program. (free program)
3) Run the 'Winsockxpfix.exe' program (free as well)

And now, here I am. All set. Problem solved.
I came to TSG to find information on this subject but the wild scrolling thing was driving me crazy and I could'nt read the posts.

Let everyone know if this solution worked for you. This problem is getting to be bothering a lot of computers. Many others will come to this site looking for solutions, or 'Google' the topic to find answers. Please post if these steps worked on any other Windows Operating Systems as well. I can only vouch for the Home Edition.

I have used the Winsockxpfix.exe program to fix other things on my computer before as well. It is definately worth it to have this program...and the best part of all is that the program falls into everyones price range! FREE!

Good luck to all!

XMorpheus300

Ok, a few questions.

By "The 'Adware' program" do you mean "LavaSoft Ad-Aware SE Personal"?
What is the 'Spybot Search & Destroy' program? And what is the 'Winsockxpfix.exe' program?

XMorpheus300

Um, and how would I check my device manager?

And I was also wondering if it could be a conflict or something, because I also have a cordless keyboard as well. But, Ive been using both of them for some time now and havent had a problem until recently.

Adaware from Lavasoft is the correct program. Make sure you check for updates when you download the program too. Run the FULL SYSTEM scan.
This is an amazing asset to have on your computer to run once in a while.
I run mine 2-3 times a week. When the scan is completed, click VIEW LOGFILE. Then click on the OBJECTS tab to see a list of the infections. Then check all the boxes and click NEXT. Get rid of them. It is good to get rid of the MRU's, DataMiners and Tracking so check out the other tabs as well.
Spybot S&D locates a lot of Spyware on your computer. This is the best free software out there. Many people will attest to that. GOOGLE search, (or use any Search Engine you prefer), and download the free version of these two programs. Also CHECK FOR UPDATES when you finish the download of the Spybot program. I run this program 2-3 times weekly AFTER the Adaware program scans.
Winsockxpfix.exe is also a great program. Go to this website pasted here and you will find a great resource site for many XP Tips, How to's and so much more. I have this site link in my Favorites file to refer to it when needed. I think you will find it to be a valuable site for yourself as well, so you may also want to save the link in Favorites or Bookmarks. (basically the same thing on different browsers) You can check out the info about the Winxpfix.exe program while there and download it...Free of charges.

http://www.winxpfix.com/

Go Directly to Device Manager

Windows 2000/XP

* You can open Device Manager by double-clicking on the System icon in Control Panel, choosing the Hardware tab, and clicking Device Manager.

After I posted the solution I used it happened once more and I rebooted the computer. No more scrolling problems for me. (thank goodness)!

I hope this all works out for you as well. Let me know.

XMorpheus300

Ok, Ive got Ad-Aware from Lavasoft, just downloaded the Spybot S&D, but I cant seem to find the Winsockxpfix.exe program off of http://www.winxpfix.com. Do you happen to have a direct link to the program or to the page on the site where you can DL the program?

Thanks so much for your help.

XMorpheus300

Thanks for your help, but unfortunately its still doing it. I did everything you said, and for a moment I thought the autoscrolling when I wasnt scrolling had stopped, but it just did it. I even restarted the computer. Also, when I try and use the scroll, it wont work.

XMorpheus300,

You did not indicate whether you checkedout the DeviceManager:
Start->Control Panel->System->Hardware tab->DeviceManager->mice and other pointing devices->right-click on your mouse's properties

and it should tell you the device status - i.e. if the mouse is working properly (or not). Try the Troubleshooter to help resolve your mouse problem.

-- Tom

You also might try using a non usb hid compliant mouse and see if you still get the scrolling.

I'd go thru all of the above excellent replies again just to make sure you didn't miss anything. If still no luck, we'll tell you how to post a hijack this log into this thread for more in depth scrutiny. (y)

I may be out of place here, but if using XP, have you turned off SYSTEM RESTORE? Spy's can hide in there.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online