1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mouse completely freezes every second.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kitched, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitched

Kitched Thread Starter

Hi, I have been searching to a solution to a mouse problem I've been having for over a week, with no luck. Basically, I have a custom built Acer, the model number for the motherboard and case is ASE380-UD421A, the processor is an AMD Athlon 64x2. So anyway, this computer was running fine for over a year running XP and latest service packs and updates, when suddenly the mouse starts to freeze. This is a basic cheap USB mouse I was using when this happened. Moving the mouse around, for just a second after a clean restart would move the pointer for about an inch and than the pointer would completely freeze, (The mouse would not function at all, so this is not just about a frozen pointer). So if I unplug the mouse from the USB and plug it right back in, it would move maybe half an inch or so and completely freeze again, over and over. I have a USB to PS/2 converter for my mouse, so this was the first fix I tried, and after a restart this seemed to work for a minute or so but than the pointer started jumping around all crazy and opening programs from the start menu. To be clear, the mouse only acted crazy when I moved it, like moving it upward would repeatedly left click and move it to the left super fast, for example. So after a few minutes of moving all crazy, the pointer would again freeze.

Googling this problem, the next step I tried was a basic system restore, I went back a few days and still had the problem, so then I restored it back over a month ago, and still had the problem. When sys restore didn't work, I tried to decrease the hardware acceleration, which also had no effect. I deleted the mouse drivers multiple times, my mouse doesn't have it's own driver, so I assume it was just working PNP over whatever default Microsoft includes in the CD. This, also did not work, same problem.

So finally, I reinstalled XP on a fresh partition and after installation, same problem! So last night, I installed Windows 7 on another fresh partition and it is still freezing and jumping around crazy with the PS/2 converter.

I have also tried the mouse on another PC and it worked fine, so I tried a different mouse in the Acer, and it still freezes so this rules out any potential problems with my mouse. I have tried in 6 different USB slots so this also rules out dirt or dust blocking up the slot. The only other hardware I use on the USB is my keyboard which also works fine and very occasionally a Craig mp3 player.

So, I'm really just hoping someone is familiar with this specific problem, before I start gutting the PC. Any help would be appreciated and thanks for taking the time to read this!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030373

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice