1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mouse / Computer freeze

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by doug1234, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. doug1234

doug1234 Thread Starter

Win xp / Norton 07, Zone Alarm
    Mouse stops moving and when I click a small circle appears --- Multiple clicks will usually restore the arrow -- Sometimes moving the arrow starts to move a frame which I don't want to happen.--Zone Alarm usually shows incoming and outgoing colors but will freeze and only show the ZA in lower right blue area--- Any suggestions would be great.:confused:

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

1. Which SP?
    2. When did the problem begin?
    2.a. Can you associate the onset to installation, removal of hardware or software?
    3. Does the problem happen in safe mode?

RF123

3. Ulysses69

Ulysses69

Can you tell us how much memory you have:

Right-click My Computer icon on desktop > Click Properties > If the General tab is not selected, select it ... now wait for the information under the heading 'Computer:' to tell you how much RAM you have.

If the RAM is 512MB or under, then your system is highlly likely to be choking to death running XP, Norton, and ZoneAlarm all together. XP and Norton together are known memory hoggers ... adding a firewall such as ZoneAlarm to the mix will not help.

Otherwise, have you tried a different mouse!? Dodgy mice are known (and in my own expereince) can freeze a system.

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Norton 7 and zonealarm. Are you running the firewalls in both of these? I realize that zonealarm is a firewall but just want to know if they are both running.

5. doug1234

doug1234 Thread Starter

Memory 1gig
    I do run Norton as it is but did not realize it as a fire wall, and Zone Alarm at the same time.
    Mouse is wireless A4 Tech on the top
    Started acting up about a month ago and seems to be ongoing
    I had downloaded NOD 32 but saw an article indicating the free download could pose a problem with hidden spyware.
    when I did a search on my computer I believe I did see the exe. problem version so I deleted it.
    Nothing else downloaded or removed

6. doug1234

doug1234 Thread Starter

Went to see how much memory is left and the screen froze
    Hit alt delete a few times without actually ending anything and the screen icons came back from just the plain screen.

7. rainforest123

rainforest123

1. Which SP?

2.a. Can you associate the onset to installation, removal of hardware or software?

8. doug1234

doug1234 Thread Starter

Service Pak is 1
    I tried to download 2 but wasn't successful
    Had heard pak 2 had issues a year ago, but perhaps that is causing things to not run correctly

C drive shows 57 gig of total space with 22 gig of available
    Should I compress to get more space?

9. rainforest123

rainforest123

How long have you had the mouse? How does the mouse connect; PS/2, USB, blue tooth? Is it a wireless / cordless mouse?
    If you are using cordless mouse, try a corded PS/2 mouse.
    If it is a wireless / cordless mouse, or mouse with extra buttons [ more than left, right and scroll wheel ], the manufacturer might have new drivers which could resolve your problem.

I suggest that you avoid compression.

Sincerely,
    RF123

10. doug1234

doug1234 Thread Starter

Mouse transmitter connects at the rear of the box with a wireless mouse with right,left and wheel.
    Approx age is 3 years
    Every time i move the mouse or type, a light on the transmitter flashes.
    My keypad is also wireless and they all use AA batteries which I switch out as needed.
    I had the transmitter below the desk and noticed that the light did not flash all the time, so I moved it to the top of the desk and now the light appears to flash as it should.
    I will check to see if this has been the problem and let you know.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!