Solved Mouse Cursor almost magnetically sticks to side margins

coineeze

I'm using an ASUS 524 laptop, W10 Version 21H1. Recently, the mouse cursor (Logitech Anywhere MX) randomly drifts to the left or right side margins of the backlite and the image of the webpage I'm viewing starts to vibrate slightly. I've checked all drivers are current and up to date. I have to reboot in order to stop this, but it starts again randomly.
Any clue why this is suddenly started happening?
Thanks in advance

coineeze

Yes I did. I have Malwarebytes Premium installed on all my computers. The deep scan didn't reveal anything.

I am having the same problem. My mouse cursor is stuck at the right/edge of the screen. I have mouse trailers on, it helps locate the mouse cursor when I move it a bit.

managed

Allan
Not sure if it's relevant but I get weird cursor behaviour on this old Dell laptop sometimes and using the Dell utility to toggle the scrolling for the trackpad off and on again fixes it.

coineeze

I have uninstalled all mouse and trackpad drivers and rebooted to let the OS reinstall them - still have the same issue. I tried a different mouse with fresh batteries, same issue. My laptop has a touch screen, so if the cursor attaches itself to either the left it right side of the screen, if I place my index finger on the jiggling cursor and drag it into the middle of the screen it behaves for a while. Ultimately it starts all over again. It’s becoming Uber frustrating. 🥵

The only thing I do on the problem PC is use Chrome in Incognito mode. Do you use that too?

The problem PC is a Lenovo laptop with a Synaptec touchpad. And a touchScreen.

I tried using the touchscreen to move the cursor, it works, as you say, for a little while, until I switch users.

Last edited:

coineeze

I primarily use Firefox but I’ll try Chrome and Edge and will report back. I have a suspicion this issue is probably hardware related. I hope I’m wrong on that. More to come.

coineeze

I tried using Chrome and Edge and the issue persists regardless of which browser I use. What I find even stranger is it doesn't seem to occur when I'm using any MS app like Word, Excel or Outlook.

plodr

Liz
From threads I'm reading, it is a problem with the nano receiver. Two possible solutions: put the nano receiver into a USB extender cable and if a cellphone is near the receiver, move it away.

coineeze

Thanks to all for your advice. I have moved the nano to the opposite side of the laptop and will monitor. So far, so good!

coineeze

The eventual solution was to buy a new mouse. The Logitech Anywhere MX went bad, so the issue has been resolved.
Thanks to all who kindly responded.

plodr

Liz
I always have a few spare mouse around just to test if something doesn't work with an installed mouse.

Surprised. Logitech makes excellent mice, and they are not cheap. My last inexpensive mouse (some obscure name from Amazon) died after 6 months. Both left and right buttons were very quiet when you pressed on them. That was the reason I bought it. Well, right button quit working. I guess the lesson I learned is not to be too cheap!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online