1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mouse cursor frozen, but mouse still operational

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by jsims281, Sep 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jsims281

jsims281 Thread Starter

Hi I'm having a problem that I really can't seem to resolve: the image of my cursor freezes about 5 seconds after I log in, but the actual pointer still works i.e. I can still use the mouse, it's just that the cursor doesn't correspond to what I'm actually pointing at. At first this occurred randomly, sometimes after 25-30 mins of use, but now it does it every time, straight away.

One way I've found to get around it is to turn on mouse trails at the lowest setting, this lets me see the trails of the cursor (at the correct location), which at least lets me know what I'm clicking on.

I've tried:
    Removing and reinstalling the drivers
    Trying a different (ps/2) mouse
    Trying a different USB port
    Removing spyware etc with Spybot, AVG
    Updating to the latest drivers
    Updating Windows (which is when it changed from being random to every time)

Any ideas on this one?
    Thanks in advance! James

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Update Video drivers

3. jsims281

jsims281 Thread Starter

Aha, thanks! You were 100% right - updating the video drivers worked a treat.

What a guy :)

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Well all you have to do is think about it. :)
    The pointer appears on the screen???
    The screen wasn't being displayed correctly!
    Oh and you need to know that the mouse drivers/mouse is actually driven by the GPU not the CPU.

5. jsims281

jsims281 Thread Starter

Yeah, as soon as I read your post I had to slap myself on the forehead!

I immediately jumped to the conclusion it was some sort of malware having a laugh at my expense and went down that route...couldn't see the wood for the trees sort of thing.

I was on the verge of following the advice of a MS KB article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321122) which wanted me to make about 30 registry changes - so glad I came on here first!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/627617

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice