1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

mouse cursor frozen in safe mode

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by impar, Dec 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. impar

impar Thread Starter

My Cursor stays frozen in the center of the screen and will not move even in safe mode.

I believe my touchpad is broken so I want to use mousekeys.

When I look at the device manager I can't see the mouse or pointing device section,

When I go to the control panel I go to the "mouse" section and there is no section for the touchpad and no driver for the mouse section.

There is something quite strange happening because I remapped the number pad and when I press these keys the icons on my desktop are highlighted and move in the correct direction as if I was pressing "tab" but the cursor will not move it stays in the center of the screen.

I have tried to install all the new drivers (all 5)recommended for my Asus K40AB AMD Athlon(tm) X2 dual-core 64 ql to no avail.

My laptop doesn't appear to have a function button that turns the keypad on and off

Bottom line, I want to be able to use mousekeys because some programs don't allow you to use keyboard shortcuts such as "Drivermax"

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Are you running Vista or 7?

I'm not sure where you are getting these "new" drivers. The Elantouch touchpad drivers are from 2009.
    http://www.asus.com/support/Download/3/187/0/3/24/

If you install the wrong driver, you can break hardware that was working.

I saw no driver newer than a 2010 version.

4. impar

impar Thread Starter

I'm running windows 7. ok so I installed the recommended driver Elantech touchpad and got this error (see screen print). I did find a temporary solution to my problem: "neatmouse" it gets the cursor moving thankfully and works on most programs but for driver update programs and data retrieval programs it will let me hover over and does light up the options in these programs but it will not allow me to click on them or even move the mouse when these programs are activated.

So I'm still at a loss I need to be able to retrieve the data on my USB FAT32. I tried the cmd: chck g: /r . The only response was this is FAT32 device.

Attached Files:

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Your screenshot is extremely confusing - it refers to Vista yet you said you are running Windows 7.

You should NOT be using any driver update programs. Your manufacturer supplied the correct drivers. If you insist on updating them, you will break things.

6. impar

impar Thread Starter

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate, I just checked. In safe mode neat mouse works on all programs but fails with some programs(in particular those that require administrator level approval) when I use the normal startup.

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You need to extract the files in the screenshot into a folder then run setup.exe from there.

8. impar

impar Thread Starter

I did that same installed it fine. Nothing changed and my computer had trouble starting up so reverted back to the recovery point before the installation. The mousekeys is quite hopeless but neat mouse works very well in Safe mode, however some programs can't run in safe mode.

I am currently trying to format a usb with raw files I've tried hdd low level format tool and it told me there was a format error at ... 1117 i/o device error. What should I try next Disk Part doesn't work, it freezes as soon as I insert the usb?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1182751

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice