1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mouse cursor keeps turning to hourglassw

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lac55, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lac55

lac55 Thread Starter

My mouse cursor keeps turning to an hourglass and interferes with applications. It even changes when I don't have anything running or when I'm only browsing internet pages. I realize it isn't accurate to say "when I don't have anything running" as there is always something running on a computer.

I have read several similar posts, but have been unable to resolve my problem. I have checked Task Manager and notice that the services.exe service regularly jumps to the top of the list. There seems to be a correlation between this jumping to the top of the list and the cursor turning to an hourglass. There also seems to be a correlation between high cpu usage and services.exe. Other processes that jump to the top are rundll32.exe, System Idle Process, msiexec.exe, and svchost.exe.

I am running Windows XP SP3. I have PC Tools firewall installed along with Avast Anti-virus (free version). This issue is most frustrating and problematic when typing in a word document or entering transactions in Quicken. My screen flashes like it is refreshing and whatever I am typing is affected, oftentimes deleted. The cursor also jumps to a new location on the screen.

This is the log from the TSG SysInfo:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N450 @ 1.66GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 28 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 1014 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 3150, 384 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 145573 MB, Free - 110639 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., 1001PX
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled
    I would be extremely grateful for whatever help anyone can give.

2. nikomaster

nikomaster

It seems you have program messing up with your computer. Just check on the taskmanager which of all programs running is taking over of your CPU. The mouse cursor turns into an hourglass when a program is processing something.

3. lac55

lac55 Thread Starter

As I mentioned previously, services.exe regularly jumps to the top of the list when the cursor changes to the hourglass. Other entries are rundll32.exe, System Idle PRocess, msiexec.exe, and svchost.exe. I have no idea what any of these do. I don't know how to determine what is "taking over" my pc. Can you provide any suggestions as to how to figure out what is using all the resources? What is the services.exe service? How can I tell what is running in the background? Even when I have no applications on the Applications tab in Task Manager, the cursor still changes to an hourglass.

4. nikomaster

nikomaster

I recommend you to download the program process explorer this is very much alike the taskmanager, but with this you can view with more detail all child process. You will be able to check which child process are called by services.exe

Services.exe is a core process of windows and it's usually called when a service is being executed. With this app you can find which process is messing up your computer.

5. lac55

lac55 Thread Starter

I have downloaded process explorer, but I don't know how to use it. I sorted it from high to low on the processes that are running. I basically see the same items in the list that appear in Task Manager: System Idle Process, services.exe, svchost.exe, FirewallGUI.exe (pctools firewall), explorer.exe, and something called interrupts. It looks like the rundll32.exe jumps to the top whenever my cursor turns to an hourglass.

I see different processes highlighted in different colors: light pink, light blue, medium blue, red, purple, and green. Do these colors mean anything?

While I was watching the processes screen, I noticed that my cursor stopped changing to an hourglass. Is it a coincidence that when the cursor stopped changing, the rundll32.exe stopped showing activity?

6. nikomaster

nikomaster

System Idle process means the processor is resting waiting for instructions. Here is where the processor should be most of the time %99 or depending what you are doing.

It seems your problem here is rundll32.exe which is the program that executes procedures and functions stored on dll(dynamic link libraries) files which are program extensions.

It is rare this process to be on screen. So it is probably you have some sort of hidden malware somewhere. It is probably a browser hijacker.

Try running a scan with MalwareBytes. If this does not fix anything, download and install hijackthis and post the scan results from there here.

All the best.

7. lac55

lac55 Thread Starter

I ran MalwareBytes using both a quick scan and a full scan. Nothing was found. Here is the log from HijackThis:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
    Scan saved at 8:47:59 PM, on 1/30/2013
    Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
    Boot mode: Normal
    Running processes:
    C:\windows\System32\smss.exe
    C:\windows\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\windows\system32\services.exe
    C:\windows\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\windows\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\windows\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastSvc.exe
    C:\windows\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\windows\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\mscorsvw.exe
    C:\Program Files\PC Tools Firewall Plus\FWService.exe
    C:\windows\system32\wscntfy.exe
    C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe
    C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
    C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
    C:\Program Files\Asus\LiveUpdate\LiveUpdate.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxsrvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\ASUS\EPC\EeeSplendid\AsAgent.exe
    C:\Program Files\EeePC\CapsHook\CapsHook.exe
    C:\windows\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Program Files\EeePC\ACPI\AsAcpiSvr.exe
    C:\Program Files\EeePC\ACPI\AsEPCMon.exe
    C:\Program Files\EeePC\ACPI\AsTray.exe
    C:\windows\RTHDCPL.EXE
    C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Power2Go\CLMLSvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxext.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
    C:\Program Files\PC Tools Firewall Plus\FirewallGUI.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\avastUI.exe
    C:\Program Files\Unlocker\UnlockerAssistant.exe
    C:\Program Files\ASUS\Eee Docking\Eee Docking.exe
    C:\windows\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\ASUS\EeePC\Super Hybrid Engine\SuperHybridEngine.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Netbook\Application Data\Dropbox\bin\Dropbox.exe
    C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
    C:\Documents and Settings\Netbook\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\UAYYZES5\HijackThis[2].exe
    C:\windows\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: Groove GFS Browser Helper - {72853161-30C5-4D22-B7F9-0BBC1D38A37E} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office14\GROOVEEX.DLL
    O2 - BHO: avast! WebRep - {8E5E2654-AD2D-48bf-AC2D-D17F00898D06} - C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\aswWebRepIE.dll
    O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
    O2 - BHO: URLRedirectionBHO - {B4F3A835-0E21-4959-BA22-42B3008E02FF} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office14\URLREDIR.DLL
    O2 - BHO: Windows Live Toolbar Helper - {E15A8DC0-8516-42A1-81EA-DC94EC1ACF10} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Toolbar\wltcore.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Windows Live Toolbar - {21FA44EF-376D-4D53-9B0F-8A89D3229068} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Toolbar\wltcore.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: avast! WebRep - {8E5E2654-AD2D-48bf-AC2D-D17F00898D06} - C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\aswWebRepIE.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] "C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] "C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] "C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LiveUpdate] "C:\Program Files\Asus\LiveUpdate\LiveUpdate.exe" auto
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynAsusAcpi] "%ProgramFiles%\Synaptics\SynTP\SynAsusAcpi.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EeeSplendidAgent] "C:\Program Files\ASUS\EPC\EeeSplendid\AsAgent.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CapsHook] "C:\Program Files\EeePC\CapsHook\CapsHook.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSPY2002] "C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\PINTLGNT\ImScInst.exe" /SYNC
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] "C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE" /SYNC
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] "C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE" /IMEName
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AsusACPIServer] C:\Program Files\EeePC\ACPI\AsAcpiSvr.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AsusEPCMonitor] C:\Program Files\EeePC\ACPI\AsEPCMon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AsusTray] C:\Program Files\EeePC\ACPI\AsTray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] "%ProgramFiles%\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] "RTHDCPL.EXE"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateLBPShortCut] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\LabelPrint\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\LabelPrint" UpdateWithCreateOnce "Software\CyberLink\LabelPrint\2.5"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CLMLServer] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Power2Go\CLMLSvc.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateP2GoShortCut] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Power2Go\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Power2Go" UpdateWithCreateOnce "SOFTWARE\CyberLink\Power2Go\6.0"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UCam_Menu] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\YouCam\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\YouCam" UpdateWithCreateOnce "Software\CyberLink\YouCam\2.0"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdatePSTShortCut] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\DVD Suite\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\DVD Suite" UpdateWithCreateOnce "Software\CyberLink\PowerStarter"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [00PCTFW] "C:\Program Files\PC Tools Firewall Plus\FirewallGUI.exe" -s
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast] "C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\avastUI.exe" /nogui
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UnlockerAssistant] "C:\Program Files\Unlocker\UnlockerAssistant.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DLBTCATS] rundll32 C:\windows\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\DLBTtime.dll,[email protected]
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Eee Docking] "C:\Program Files\ASUS\Eee Docking\Eee Docking.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\windows\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
    O4 - Startup: Dropbox.lnk = C:\Documents and Settings\Netbook\Application Data\Dropbox\bin\Dropbox.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: SuperHybridEngine.lnk = ?
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office14\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Se&nd to OneNote - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office14\ONBttnIE.dll/105
    O9 - Extra button: Blog This - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &Blog This in Windows Live Writer - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Se&nd to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra button: OneNote Lin&ked Notes - {789FE86F-6FC4-46A1-9849-EDE0DB0C95CA} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONBttnIELinkedNotes.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: OneNote Lin&ked Notes - {789FE86F-6FC4-46A1-9849-EDE0DB0C95CA} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONBttnIELinkedNotes.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICFF8~1\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\windows\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\windows\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {0D41B8C5-2599-4893-8183-00195EC8D5F9} (asusTek_sysctrl Class) - http://support.asus.com/select/asusTek_sys_ctrl3.cab
    O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/common/bin/cabsa.cab
    O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\windows\system32\browseui.dll
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\windows\system32\browseui.dll
    O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - AVAST Software - C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: dlbt_device - Dell - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dlbtcoms.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdatem) (gupdatem) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
    O23 - Service: MBAMScheduler - Malwarebytes Corporation - C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe
    O23 - Service: MBAMService - Malwarebytes Corporation - C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
    O23 - Service: PC Tools Firewall Plus (PCToolsFirewallPlus) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\PC Tools Firewall Plus\FWService.exe
    O23 - Service: Skype Updater (SkypeUpdate) - Skype Technologies - C:\Program Files\Skype\Updater\Updater.exe
    --
    End of file - 10407 bytes

8. lac55

lac55 Thread Starter

I replaced my rundll32.exe file from c:\windows\I386. I did not get an original windows cd with my computer. Immediately after replacing the file rebooting, it seemed to solve my problem. The mouse cursor stopped changing to an hourglass every few seconds and the performance of my laptop improved. A couple of hours later, it all started again. Did my HijackThis log show any issues? Do you have any other suggestions?​

9. nikomaster

nikomaster

I think this is your problem: C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\DLBTtime.dll,[email protected] this is the only entry called at start up. The file is not dangerous. This is the driver of your dell photo printer. But it may be causing trouble. What you can do is trying to re-install your printer driver again.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087161

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice