1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mouse driver not signed?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Gene Poole, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gene Poole

Gene Poole Thread Starter

I recently got a docking station for my laptop (Dell precision M65 w/WinXP Pro SP3 all updates) and when I plugged it in (after all the plug-n-play stuff detected the new docking station stuff), the mouse plugged into the dock USB port would not work (it worked fine previously when plugged into the laptop USB port). I undocked and plugged the mouse back into the laptop's port but it still didn't work.

I went into the device management applet and and tried to update the driver. There was nothing under "Mice and other pointing devices" except the PS/2 touchpad. Under "Human Interface Devices" there was an entry called "HID-Compliant device" If I deleted that device and then did a "scan for hardware changes" I would get the "found new hardware" popup in the tray and then breifly see "Dell USB Optical Mouse" during which the mouse would work but within 2 or 3 seconds it would switch to "HID-Compliant device" and then inform me that my hardware was ready to use at which point the mouse stopped working.

After much screwing around with the device manager and various other USB mice, I found that I could use the "Update Driver" right-click menu item to force the driver to "HID-Compliant mouse" by bypassing all the "Automatic" stuff. This resuted in a working mouse, but I have to do this every time I turn on the laptop.

I have noticed that while following the dialogs during the above procedure, the "HID-Compliant mouse" driver shows up with "This driver is not digitally signed!" According to what I've read, this forces the generic "HID-Compliant device" to a higher score since it is "signed" and gets installed automatically unless you force the mouse as above.

Best I can tell my mouse driver is the same as it has ever been and once forced into operation, the driver properties show that it is signed. The files (mouclass.sys and mouhid.sys) match other winxp sp3 systems time and date stamps and filesizes.

Ever since the first docking of the computer no matter what my configuration is during bootup, I have to re-install my mouse manually. I'm at my wits end having to do this every time I move my computer between home and work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!