1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mouse driver

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by deubanks, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deubanks

deubanks Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

When I start my computer in safe mode, my mouse will not work. The reason is that I have installed software that came with a mouse that I bought and in safemode, It does not load the driver. When I disable the driver in MSCONFIF startup, the mouse will then work in safemode.

The problem is with the above mentined software disabled, the wheel on the mouse will not work. I am using the mouse that came with the computer and the wheel used to work. It will work with the above software. When I go to the device and try to update the driver, it checks and says that the best driver is installed.

I am using WinME. Any suggestions on how to get the wheel to scroll will be greatly appreciated.

2. norton850

norton850

Could you clarify your problem. The wheel doesn't work in safemode. As you said the driver is disabled. But it works in "normal" mode. What exactly is the problem.

3. junker39

junker39

I see what you are saying deubanks but I dont understand why it is happening. Try leaving the mouse unchecked in msconfig and then create a shortcut to your mouse .exe and stick that in the Start/Startup folder. That way, it will not run until windows starts.

4. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

what norton says. why do you want to use safemode, it should be whats making you use safemode that you should post here that way we can fix both problems.

5. deubanks

deubanks Thread Starter

When in safemode, the pointer is in the center of the screen and will not move.

When I disable the driver that came with another mouse that I bought, the pointer will move when in safemode but with that driver disabled, the mouse wheel will not scroll as it will with the driver that came with the mouse that I bought.

Before I bought the other mouse and installed the driver, the mouse wheel would scroll. The computer came with a wheel mouse and it worked until I installed the other driver.

Hope that helps clear make it more clear.

6. deubanks

deubanks Thread Starter

Hi iXneonXi, Thanks for the reply.

I have the problem fixed that I was using safe mode for. I had a software conflict that was causing the computer to freeze on startup.

7. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

so should i report this thread solved, since you really dont need to use safemode on a daily basis (or atleast shouldnt have to) we probably dont have to go thru the trouble of how to get it to work in safemode. The reason safe mode is so safe is that windows uses its own special kernel and system drivers, and minimal support. if your mouse is newer or slightly out of the ordinary (e.g. wireless perhaps) it ma not work. dont worry as long as your not in safemode tho.

8. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

ps goin2 sleep be back at 6:00 am my time 2morrow

9. deubanks

deubanks Thread Starter

Problem not solved.
    Sorry but I still did not make the problem clear.

The problem is that the mouse wheel will not scroll when when in normal mode with the driver that came with the mouse that I bought is disabled in startup. It used to work with the driver that came with the computer, before I installed the one that I bought.
    Hope that helps.

10. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

try a driver rollback from my right click my computer>properties>device manager : select mouse and go to drivers> try driver rollback. also try reinstalling the drivr and let windows search for it instead of the software one.

11. deubanks

deubanks Thread Starter

I tried that iXneonXi and it tells me that the best driver is already installed. I will just keep using the driver that I got with the mouse that I bought for now. If anyone has any more suggestions, I will try them.
    Thanks for the replies.

12. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

have you tried the rollback?

13. deubanks

deubanks Thread Starter

Have tried reinstalling driver and it tells me that the best driver is already installed. It does not give me the option to do a driver rollback. the only options are Update Driver and Driver File Details.

14. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

do you have the software for it. you can uninstall the driver and then try to install with the software. just make sure the software is for your os. e.g. win98 drivers won't work on xp.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273661

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice